building a head

allen600

Aug 6, 2010
oakdale
im wondering how much of a benefit i would get buy running a built head on a 57 trim ct and e85, by built im talking bc 1mm oversized valves ti springs and retainers stage 3 272 cams bronze guides port and polish im not sure if anything else is needed to build a head ive never done it before, im just wondering because i already have eagle rods and je pistons front mount exhaust ect..

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If your building the motor and got money to spend i would. You will prolly see gains but the ct is going to be the limiting factor. Esp with 272. Ct going to run out of breath soon as the cams come online.

Now if you had a t4 setup and say a 61-67mm turbo with atleast a .84 housing you coudl pulll power from 4k to 7500 at least. Something with a 1.05+ ar could get you to the 8k+ range.

Of course reving that high a standalone is needed. Tho if your pre89 car the yellow plug aem is only 1200 vs the 1800+ for the gray plug one.

allen600

Aug 6, 2010
oakdale
Yeah I have a 89 so I'm kinda screwed there, I'm not really to sure if I want to run a t4 setup because I don't think the manifold fits in my car it hits the fender wall and I don't know a whole lOt about what size turbo to yet or anything like that

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
allen600;1722734 said:
Yeah I have a 89 so I'm kinda screwed there, I'm not really to sure if I want to run a t4 setup because I don't think the manifold fits in my car it hits the fender wall and I don't know a whole lOt about what size turbo to yet or anything like that

Say what about the manifold??? Pretty sure most manifolds will fit. What one did you try?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I think the older ssac wastegate tubes needed mods but im pretty sure the newer one doesnt. Either way its a simple fix.

You can get a turbo kit from driftmotion for 1500. Comes with everything you need besides injectors pump and tuning.

Something like a t57 -61mm would be all you needed for up to like 500hp. Depending on where you want your power band would be depndent on the size of the rear housing. .84 would be good to start with on the 7m.