build questions

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
im finishing up my build and i had a few questions. the motor is pretty much ready to drop in but a few things were of concern.
the oil pump pulley is installed and torqued, but i noticed that when i turn it counter clockwise there is some in and out play. but when i turn it clockwise, it turns perfect with no play. is this normal?
also, i completely overlooked getting new oil squirters. the crank is already installed. i just ordered new oil squirter bolts from toyota and want to know if its possible to install the with the crank in? id rather not take the crank out if possible.
thanks
-pete

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Just checked a new Toyota pump...there's about 1/16" in/out play on the gear moving on the drive shaft...there's minuscule play on the shaft itself, less than 1/32". The gear also has about 1/16" side-to-side play.

You might be able to change the squirter bolts with the crank installed, but you will likely have to rotate the crank for the access to do it. A u-joint socket adapter will help...pay attention to the torque when you install.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
ok that makes me feel a little better. but i feel like there was more play than that. ill measure how much play there is when i get home.

ok good. as far as the squirters themselves, i believe there were cleaned with the motor. but should i soak them or something before i install the new bolts?

-pete

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yes...in a good solvent, then blow out with air. Might be a good idea to run a flexible wire through as well.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
through the squirter itself? the orifice is big enough to get a wire through?

by the way.... those ceramic coated manifold manifolds and heat shields i got from you look great on the motor. thanks a lot

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yep...plenty big enough. Just to be sure there's not a chunk of crap in it.

Glad you like them...should help with the under hood temps quite a bit ;)

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
im also worried that i didnt thoroughly clean the oil residue off the surface of the cylinder head enough before i torqued it down. on the deck of the block i wiped off all the residue. at most there might be a little oil on the cylinder head near the combustion chamber.
do you think there might be a sealing problem with the MHG?
-pete

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
how many of those dowels do you need to install when you put the cam gears on the cam shafts? there are 3 holes on the camshaft but i can only fit 2 dowels when i align the cam gear on

-pete

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
One dowel per cam gear...center hole.

A small amount of oil around the lip of the cylinder should not be an issue.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
do you know anything about the fitment of titan cam gears? i just torqued down the cam bolt and now the camshaft wont spin easily. or at all.
do i have to modify the no.2 timing cover?
thanks for everything
-pete

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
i think i got it, the bolts for the no. 2 timing cover were in the way. i removed the washer and shaved off some material from the head of the bolt. they can move now but there is still some resistance. its been a while since i messed with cam gears, so this may be normal.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It's not...replace the stock #2 cover bolts with hex cap bolts. They are lower profile and should clear the cam gears. This is common with after market gears...if the bolts touch, you will get a rapid ticking from the front of the head. Happened to me with AEM gears...about drove me nuts trying to find it ;)

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
ok cool. ill pick some up in the morning. im hoping to get the motor in tomorrow.
i ran into another snag.... i messed up a fitting for the ss oil hose that goes from the block to the turbo. hopefully napa for some other auto part store has a replacement.
-pete

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Here is pics from my build thread, and what I had to do to get the AEM gears to fit properly.
First, counter sunk the holes on #2 cover, and used button top screws.
p1093648_1.jpg

Next had to dremel/cut the extra bolts threads off.

p1093648_2.jpg

Hope this helps with the cam gears.

Now ready to go. Remember torque the cam gear bolt down to 36 ft/lbs ;)

p1093648_3.jpg

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
the cam adjustment bolts on my titan gears dont seem to interfere with their rotation.... but ill double check today. i didnt even think to look at those.
seems like a lot of work for a "bolt on" lol
thanks for the tip and the pics
-pete

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
sneakypete;1093793 said:
the cam adjustment bolts on my titan gears dont seem to interfere with their rotation.... but ill double check today. i didnt even think to look at those.
seems like a lot of work for a "bolt on" lol
thanks for the tip and the pics
-pete

Your titan's might be good to go, but never the less double check. For a "bolt on" yeah, a little work needed but it only took 10 min.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
i was putting the clutch in today and the tsrm said to put the clutch cover and disk inside the tranny then connect it to the engine and screw on the bolts while someone turns the crank. to me that is a royal pita.
my question is about the clutch cover. i have a stage 4 action clutch kit. it seems that there are 3 plastic rivets in the clutch cover that are in a position where bolts are supposed to go.... basically i have 3 left over clutch bolts
is this normal?
-pete

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
ok figured out the clutch problem... just have to do it now

but another problem i ran into was with the oil squirter bolts. i bought 6 new ones from champion. i removed the old bolts and cleaned out the squirter holes.... but i can seem to screw the new bolts in. it took me 2 hours last night to get 2 new bolts in. its almost like the threads are wrong.
anyone else have this problem? also what should i torque them to?

thanks
-pete

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
18 ft/lbs

Take one of your old bolts and match to the threads on the new ones to confirm the same thread size.
They should not be hard to install...but, your crank is already in right? That will make it a lot harder.