build question

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
in my current build, but i have .020 over probe forged pistons. my machinist said that the tolerances listed on the spec sheet are between 2 thousanths and 6 thousanths. the block i bought its overbored and the clearances are in the 5 thousanths range... close to the extremes. he said that he usually tries to machine right in the middle of the tolerances.
i was wondering what kind of drawbacks i could experience if im that close to the max clearance? im aiming for around 600whp for my build and dont want to take any chances. should i just get another set of pistons .040 over and call it a day? id rather not but i dont want to take any chances.

thanks
-pete

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
That's what I was referring to as well...with my Ross pistons at 5 thou, I experience piston slap when the engine is cold. It gets better when it warms up, but sounds like a diesel until it does. It's going to depend on how long the skirts are on the Probes.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ross are good, but heavy...JE's are light, but the skirts are fairly short requiring a fairly tight piston to wall tolerance. I just purchased a set of CP pistons...ceramic coated tops, coated skirts, double forced pin oiling. CP's are a little heavier than JE. Probes (IMO) are a good stock replacement piston.

If you are shooting for a 600 HP build, coating is going to add a margin of safety for you...it's not cheap. It will also allow you to drop your piston to wall tolerance to about 3.5 thou.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Pics of the CP pistons:

p1058220_1.jpg

p1058220_2.jpg

p1058220_3.jpg

And a link to the website:
http://www.cppistons.com/products/sport_compact/

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Doing well...it's just hot as hades in Phoenix right now ;)

Coating pistons is not something I want to invest the time in...it would drive me nuts and if you screw-up, a lot of $$$ too. The coating is a factory option when you order these...in fact, each order (other than the .040 over) are custom made. These are .020 over and I opted for the upgraded wrist pins. What really got my attention is the double forced pin oilers...should be a very good upgrade.

jkbmkiii

Supramania Contributor
Nov 24, 2005
Castle Rock colorado
jdub;1058229 said:
Doing well...it's just hot as hades in Phoenix right now ;)

Coating pistons is not something I want to invest the time in...it would drive me nuts and if you screw-up, a lot of $$$ too. The coating is a factory option when you order these...in fact, each order (other than the .040 over) are custom made. These are .020 over and I opted for the upgraded wrist pins. What really got my attention is the double forced pin oilers...should be a very good upgrade.

Thanks for the info! Hell it was hot a mile high today! Phoenix= To hot !