Buffing the Supra this weekend?

SupraJDS

Mar 31, 2006
--
I want to go ahead and order some Zanio but I have no clue what to buy because there are so many products on the website. What would you suggest? Do I need any other equipment to get the job done?

p607750_1.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p607750_2.jpg

Thanks Josh

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i got a starter kit for christmas, came with the claybar and soap, and three kinds of polishes. ill get the number or description off the box when i get home today.

oh, and they say you need 100% cotton terry cloth towels to buff with.

SupraJDS

Mar 31, 2006
--
alright thanks man

I also have alot of oxidation in between the pass. window and hatch window. Is there anyway to get rid of that?

Back2Basics

Regular
Dec 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
I used to buff cars at a used car lot. They bought me big commerical sized bottles of the Maguires Machine Glaze polisher to use with a nice Dewalt rotary buffer. It worked so great I went out and bought the same buffer. The Machine Glaze series has different stages that correspond to the "grittyness" of the polish. I know its not Zaino like you asked for, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
I'll have to go with Dark on this one. I've used Meguiars products on my 89T and have had many friends also use the same stuff - actually had detailing parties at my house on occasion.

The trick is to really get the paint nice and clean before applying anything. Zaino on top of a dirty paint job will still look like @$$. TurtleWax on top of a very clean car will look GREAT!.

Step 1: Wash the car. Use whatever you like. This is just to get the bulk of the crap off the car.

Step 2: CLEAN the car. If you haven't done a serious wax job in a while you might consider something like the Meguiars Body Scrub. This will really get in there and make your car squeaky clean - really. The ClayBar is GREAT and I generally use that for my 2nd and 3rd wax jobs each year. But the first one is always done with the Body Scrub.

Step 3: Polish. While not as critical this does help.

Step 4: Wax. Use a good quality wax. This just seals in all of your hard work.

Now you can start thinking about the rest of the car.

Windows: Get yourself the Glass Polish from Griot's Garage. I used to have water spots that wouldn't come off. I tried everything I could find. Then I found the Glass Polish and WOW! No more water spots. There is the added benefit that your glass will feel freshly waxed just like the paint and water will just bead up and roll off without any RainX. http://supras.org/keith/glass.htm

Every time I roll in the Supra after a complete wax job I always get compliments. One guy even asked me how much I wanted for the car - while we were rolling down the highway.

Last edited:

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
I'm not a fan of the Zaino products. I have a black supra and it seems to me that Zaino attracts the dust like crazy. I live in the high desert with lots of dust, but I've had better luck with Maguires.

cwd

SupraJDS

Mar 31, 2006
--
Well when I just wash the car I use Maguires soap, tire shine and wheel cleaner. I used some old ass wax and thats why the oxidation is there so I didn't wax it. But I have some Maguires wax I got in the package deal should I try that instead?

Last edited:

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
pinstripes are ftw... keep em!

mothers clay bar is great also. my roomies car had been parked near a paint shop so he had all different color paint flecks on the car. a few hrs with the clay bar and it cleared up pretty nicely.

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Definitely wash it thoroughly before considering any polish. Next step is to clay bar the crap out of it. This removes all the exhaust/dirt/tar particles that soap doesn't get rid of. Once it's perfectly clean, dry it off to make sure you don't leave any water marks. When a car is this clean, even a cheap turtle wax will look awesome. I've never been a fan of buffers and have always done it by hand but this greatly increases the total time it takes to finish the job. You're looking at about 4 hours worth of hard work to do this right and to really bring out the colour of your car.

At that time rate it's almost worth it to get it professionally detailed ($150-200) and they'll have all the higher end tools and products to use. Not to mention they know wtf they're doing :) Good detailers will also put on a paint protection like diamond coat.

When I get home I'll tell you the name of the products I use to do my car which was given to me by my brother (detailer).

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
im gonna have to go with Maguires on this one no other polish brings out the shine like there new nano polish I stand by that and that alone

this is one coat
p608477_1.jpg

p608477_2.jpg

p608477_3.jpg

p608477_4.jpg