Budget Rebuild What direction to go

mk3supreme

Hoes Anyone?
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles
Guy's something wrong with the supra internally. So I was going to rebuild it. Whats a budget safe way of going about this? I need help. Any suggestions would be a great help.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
I don't know of a way to plan a rebuild without tearing the motor apart first. You could have a multitude of problems, but you won't know until you crack the motor open.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
budget......rebuild.....and supra...... those words dont go together...

so you can do it right the first time and spend some cash....OR you can do it on a "budget" and do it twice and end up spending more then your budget anyways....

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
Yup, 3,000 is a good number, my machine work alone was around 1,500 and that doesn't include a head job since the head only had 15k on it. Just got it milled and got the valves vacuum checked.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
IJ. said:
JT: I hope your machinst is better looking than mine ;)!
hahaa, freakin Ian. :biglaugh:

Grim: What did you rebuild for $3k? Is that OEM rods and pistons, machining, hardware, and gaskets?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Actually, mine cost me less than that, as I was able to use OEM pistons and rods I already had on hand. I polished the crank, honed the cylinders, skimmed the surface on the block and the head, and had the head flattened in an oven.

Then I added new Clevite bearings and thrust washers, Hastings rings, Toyota waterpump, all new frost plugs, all new seals, and about $1 of shims for my oil pump.

Oh, and about 3 weeks of cleaning individual parts and another $100 in PAINT.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Just for giggles, I typed up a realistic estimate of what it would cost me to build up my engine.
I also did an estimate if someone were to buy it from where I left off.

This is for the long block only and does not include belts, hoses, or anything else that you would want to change on the way, however a complete engine gasket is added in the equation.

If I were to build my motor to stock specs it would cost me about.

$75 deck the block
$60 hone the cylinders

$200 valve job
$60 mill the head

$315 complete Toyota gasket set
$110 rings
$180 bearings
$28 oil pump drive shaft bearing set
$140 Cometic MHG
$105 head bolts from ARP
$15 FIPG for the oil pan
$5 assembly lube
$50 *probably the cost of main and rod bolts from Toyota*
$30 *probably the cost for me to get valve shims from a machine shop*
$ 28 TAX from machine shop
$ 30 estimate on shipping
$1431 TOTAL FOR ME TO REBUILD THE COMPLETE ENGINE

If someone took over the job from where I left off with some shopping:

$600 complete long block components package
$254 MAX shipping of my engine parts
$80 max for cleaning the block and head after machine work (I would have had that free).
$2365 for a Complete Long Block that has already been inspected and known to be good.