Budget brembo front brakes

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
BIG BRAKE BREMBO KIT around $550 bucks.... a few weeks ago I stumbled upon a great bit of info that led to an idea for budget brembo brakes..... and we can all think a mustang for it... in 2000 the cobra R had 4 piston brembos, now those are stupid expensive because so few were built so uh no...

After more research I found that a mk1 ford focus, and fiat coupe, Peugeot 406 and a sean cupra also had those same calipers...

Anyway the calipers are for you to find but in theory it will bolt up to every mustang known to man these calipers should work just fine with Driftmotion cobra brackets....

I just bought some brembos off a fiat coupe they are being shipped from germany so ill let you guys know about them when I get them and check the bolt pattern on my 96 cobra unless I have bought some brackets from driftmotion by then.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

blackgamer16

Supra Driver
Apr 27, 2005
Sooner Country
If that's the case, you can use the Focus RS brembo calipers. Part number M-2300-B. Those are the same ones used in the 2000 Cobra Rs however, it is not the same color (grey calipers). A simple search, back then in 2006, you could find a new set from anywhere from $605 to 735 dollars brand new.

link from the discovery: http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27277

Now playing Devils advocate:
Driftmotion Cobra kit: 180 dollars
Cobra Rotors: ~130 bucks
Calipers: Let's say 500 to 735 for the set

Grand Total: 810 to 1045 depending if you can score a deal. Yes, you can make out better but why not invest in the ARZ kit and be done with it?

Don't get me wrong, i like the agenda that you are taking, I've tried piecing a kit together as well while "trying" to beat the 1000 dollar BBK kits but from my experience to make it feasible, you need to be able to buy brembosn(calipers n pads) for 180 a piece (360 a set), rotors for ~100-150 bucks, and brackets in the 150-200 area. Thus, you would have invested $610 - 710 in a BBK kit. Ideally, if you can get a great BBK for the 5-600 range, that would be be a badass setup. Please keep in the mind the safety aspect of a "custom" BBK. It's great to save money but you want a kit that actually test well. That's my .02 cents.

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
I got 2 calipers for 315 bucks shipped so add 180 for the brackets and with say 130 for rotors so 610 dollars sir and if youll read I included the mk1 focus rs and cobra r and the frpp part number is m-2300-rs

blackgamer16

Supra Driver
Apr 27, 2005
Sooner Country
No need to take offensive sir :).... Anyways I did not look into the prices of the calipers so i was just based the calipers price that was quoted from the thread. But it's nice to know that there is another alternative. Now, if you feel ballsy enough; a before and after brake test would be the ideal.

Either way...Great find!

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
Well my stocks are siezed.and im.doing a 500 whp build and getting closer every day I have to work on it so this is the fix for.my car that wont roll at all lol

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
The problem with these brakes IMO is wait time on parts if you need them. Regular Cobra fronts with a good set of pads stop pretty damn well and you can walk into just about any parts store in the country and get replacements if you need them. You can't fit a whole hell of a lot of tire on the front of these cars and its not hard at all to over brake your traction capabilities with street tires. Sure these will pull your eyes from your sockets on R compounds but what happens in an emergency stop on street tires? Just some food for thought.

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
Quin... idk but for almost the same price well bout 75 bucks difference I can say I got brembos and they will look awesome and perform a slight bit better and with the sti brembos and evo rears I plan on doing its a matched pair... I figured if I gotta buy brake calipers since mine are siezed, I might as well upgrade and for 315 shipped for a pair of brembos when upr cobra calipers are 240 its worth it... to me at.least

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Lol UPR charges $240? Auto zone remans with lifetime warranty are about $130 a pair including core charge. You can find take off used ones for $100 and less.

Funny that they're so expensive from UPR, they usually sell cheap parts. Don't take this the wrong way I really hope it works well for you.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Brembo =/= great.

Good example is that you can do a direct bolt on of the STI brembos on the BRZ/FR-S/GT86. The fact is the stock rears are more powerful ruffles a lot of feathers... They're a decent OEM caliper, but they are known to have issues with the threads in the mounting ears (requiring helicoils) and they're not as stiff and required a brace between mounting ears. Just gotta look around the subby world and see how many people replace them...

blackgamer16

Supra Driver
Apr 27, 2005
Sooner Country
I "believe" you can buy brand new calipers from Wilwood that have all of the previous OEM fixes and are offered for 150-225 a piece. It just all depends on having their catalog and seeing what will "work" with our custom made brackets.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
You can buy the Revolution Brake Co Wilwood 4-pot kit for the front (includes everything: rotors, rings, SS lines, brackets, hardware), used or refurbished Evo VII-IX Brembo rears with '05-'07 STI rears rotors (you'll need to also purchase mounting hardware and Evo brake lines). All of this can be done for right around $1600, and it will will stop every bit as well as a JZA80 (tested), R33 GT-R (tested), and others.

Unless there's something cheaper that performs as well, I'm not sure why anyone would do something different.

Source: my personal setup

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Well, good rotors are ~$400 alone f/r, plus you'll need mounting brackets, lines, mounting hardware (cheap), and some calipers for the rear.

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
That was shipped cost for the brembos from germany... the Lines and brackets are 279 from dm and I can get rotors for less than 150 bucks for the pair way less if I look hard but yea the sti evo setup will be on the back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk