Bryan's 1uz twin turbo build

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
IJ.;1407521 said:
What are your driving impressions of it compared to the 6 Bryan?

The response is amazing compared to my 7mge-t. There is plenty of push you back in your seat tq before the turbos even spool in all gears. It feels to me i can hit full boost (7-8psi) at around 3.5k rpms which i think is perfect. I do however need a good tune badly since my mpg is at rock bottom. I did about 150 miles and im at maybe a little less than quarter tank..

i will try to get vids up as soon as i fix this starter (car still starts sometimes, but the contacts are definatly going, i can always push start it, but who wants to do that all the time). btw yes the hood closes without touching or being close to touching.

If i had to do this swap again i think i would go with a supercharger from a gm. they can be had for dirt cheap, and i could've kept my ac. the only down side is a slower car

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
Midnight Dorifuta;1407688 said:
I have some ideas of my own, but they involve a single block-mounted camshaft. Hey, Viper, when can I see this beast running? :biglaugh:

ill be at the philly meet and etown meet

dude4253;1407573 said:
Awesome build!!
I take it the hood closed all right?

yup plenty of space

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
viper92086;1407895 said:
If i had to do this swap again i think i would go with a supercharger from a gm. they can be had for dirt cheap, and i could've kept my ac. the only down side is a slower car

Which s/c are you referring to? From the 3800?

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
limequat;1407901 said:
Which s/c are you referring to? From the 3800?

yea, i'm pretty sure i'd be able to use one of those with say a upgraded pulley. it'd be be a low boost upgrade, but the manifold can be easily made with the stock lower intake manifold. i know my buddy bought a spare for his bonneville with 38k miles on it for $180 on ebay. it looked brand new last time i saw it.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
viper92086;1407912 said:
yea, i'm pretty sure i'd be able to use one of those with say a upgraded pulley. it'd be be a low boost upgrade, but the manifold can be easily made with the stock lower intake manifold. i know my buddy bought a spare for his bonneville with 38k miles on it for $180 on ebay. it looked brand new last time i saw it.

That's definitely an interesting thought. Those s/c are all over carpart.com for that price.

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
I've never been a domestic guy, but isn't that S/C made for a 6 cyl? I believe superrunner (sp??) over on S F put a m90 on his SC4, and he was pretty upset with it. He was running 8 psi I believe.

If anything save your pennies and try to go M112!

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
ihiryu;1407927 said:
I've never been a domestic guy, but isn't that S/C made for a 6 cyl? I believe superrunner (sp??) over on S F put a m90 on his SC4, and he was pretty upset with it. He was running 8 psi I believe.

If anything save your pennies and try to go M112!

Eaton says it for engines displacing 3 to 5 liters. Yes, it came on a V6. However that V6 displaces almost as much a Lexus V8 (3.8L).

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
viper92086;1407895 said:
The response is amazing compared to my 7mge-t. There is plenty of push you back in your seat tq before the turbos even spool in all gears. It feels to me i can hit full boost (7-8psi) at around 3.5k rpms which i think is perfect. I do however need a good tune badly since my mpg is at rock bottom. I did about 150 miles and im at maybe a little less than quarter tank..

i will try to get vids up as soon as i fix this starter (car still starts sometimes, but the contacts are definatly going, i can always push start it, but who wants to do that all the time). btw yes the hood closes without touching or being close to touching.

Thanks Bryan!

The above is the exact reason for my 6.0L Chev swap :D

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
got the starter out, man was that a pita... i'll intall the new one tomorrow when im not as tired. i have alot to clean out still

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
just my f*ckin luck... i install the new starter and make everything all neat and stuff, and i go to connect my battery and the starter starts cranking.... WTF i managed to squeeze my hand to disconnect the solenoid wire and the thing still turns over as soon as i connect the battery! f my life 1uz starters suck to change out btw

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Sounds like the solinoid is stuck and yes it does suck to change the starter on them. Did you buy a used starter or new or remand? Id be taking it back and raising hell and trying to get a labor claim for your time if it was a new or remand unit...

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
viper92086;1409932 said:
just my f*ckin luck... i install the new starter and make everything all neat and stuff, and i go to connect my battery and the starter starts cranking.... WTF i managed to squeeze my hand to disconnect the solenoid wire and the thing still turns over as soon as i connect the battery! f my life 1uz starters suck to change out btw

Bad solenoid?

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
cjsupra90;1410004 said:
Sounds like the solinoid is stuck and yes it does suck to change the starter on them. Did you buy a used starter or new or remand? Id be taking it back and raising hell and trying to get a labor claim for your time if it was a new or remand unit...

it was a reman from advanceauto.. luckily i've become good friends with the guy so he just orderd me a brand new one today and is having it rushed for free at the price of my reman.

limequat;1410005 said:
Bad solenoid?

i think so

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
viper92086;1410840 said:
starter replaced, now the car is running pig rich and wont idle :( .... i'll save that for another day.
So it ran fine, you replaced the starter, and now it's not running well? Weird. Did you disconnect any of those mass ground points that Toyota loves to use? Leaving one of those loose can cause all kinds of random stuff to happen/not work.

GL!

Collin