Broken TPS connector, how to replace?

ae86ma70

Jul 24, 2008
Atlanta
My 7MGTE TPS connector is broken. It stays in place most of the time, but lately I've had to wrap some silicone self-fusing tape around it to keep it in place. I have a replacement pigtail, but cannot figure out how to remove the pins from either connector. I've "de-pinned" many other connectors with no problem, but I cannot figure this one out. Can someone please point me in the right direction? I don't want to cut the wiring.

Thanks in advance.

ae86ma70

Jul 24, 2008
Atlanta
Well, I figured it out, but it cost me a TPS connector housing. Anyone have a source for these? I bought a used TPS to get the one I just destroyed.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
When delinking just look down at the connector and look for the tab that is holding the pin in. If you just stick a tool in there and start pushing you might ruin the locks for the pins. There's always a tab to pry out a tAd and the pin will slide right out.

ae86ma70

Jul 24, 2008
Atlanta
hvyman;1683920 said:
When delinking just look down at the connector and look for the tab that is holding the pin in. If you just stick a tool in there and start pushing you might ruin the locks for the pins. There's always a tab to pry out a tAd and the pin will slide right out.

Yeah, I tried looking into it with several different light sources and didn't have much luck. I killed two of the locks.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

OneJArpus;1683915 said:

P5040245.JPG P1010946.jpg

The TPS connector in the link is different from mine. Mine is on the right.

Last edited:

ae86ma70

Jul 24, 2008
Atlanta
Can I use a newer style TPS and just recalibrate the sensor in the EMS software without having to re-tune my fuel maps?

ae86ma70

Jul 24, 2008
Atlanta
Enraged;1683987 said:
these are NOT exactly like stock, but they are very similar and take the same pins. I used them on my car. http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Sealed/SM-MT/sm-mt.html

I don't see anything on that page that looks like what I need, either. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions thus far, but I'd like to replace the connector with one that is the same as the original. The connector pictured in the left thumbnail in my above post has no way to lock onto my TPS. I can't imagine using it as a substitute for my existing one. Maybe I can just epoxy the wires in the housing that I broke?

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
my mistake, thought you had posted CPS not TPS.

come to think of it, i may have an extra plug from my old 88 harness, ill check when i get home.

ae86ma70

Jul 24, 2008
Atlanta
Well, I'm glad that you posted that anyway, because I'm always looking for places to buy those sorts of things from. Your efforts to locate the plug will be appreciated. WTB ad located here.