Broken Pressure Plate?

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
Ive had an odd vibration with this car since beating on it after i bought it, with the clutch is disengaged (pedal all the way in) and its in gear if you rev it to 2-3k it vibrates pretty bad and makes a clanking sound, the clutch pedal also throbs its not bad but you can notice it. its not rod knock as it goes away if you engage the clutch (pedal out) without the car in gear the vibration is still there but its not nearly as bad and the sound goes away.

Also sometimes if im in first gear say going threw a parking lot i press the clutch in if im coming to a stop sign or old people and youll hear a pop and the driveline will get a huge jolt. It doesnt do this every time but when it does its enough to make me cringe.

While searching for info on the w58 inspection plate i found this thread:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80191

My car does everything mentioned in that thread. the sound the hard shut offs.

Muzy mentioned in that thread to pull the cover and find spring bits. I cant pull the cover right now as a family members car is about to be worked on and its in front of mine. but ive checked all the other things mentioned out i do have an exhaust leak but its for sure not that ive grown to know the leak vs the clank in the video he posted.

My question is how common is this? Could i have broken something in the clutch beating on the car? Im sure driving the car this long with these problems prolly ruined the rear main seal as well as a bearing in the trans or atleast made them a little loose.

Also could anybody give me some info on the w58 inspection cover? Ive looked while other the car and i cant seem to find it, I do have bad eye sight but i didnt think it was that bad.

Thanks in advance, Barry

SupaMan

Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
ForcedTorque;1284126 said:
Take an inspection cover off, and check out what is going on in there.

yea im gonna try tomorrow. im also gonna make a video of the sound clutch in and clutch out see what you guys think.

SupaMan

Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
So i got under the car today and i failed at finding the inspection plate....the bellhousing is solid all the way around the only hole in it is for the slave where it connects to the fork with the rubber boot......no bolted in panels like i was told from searches no nothing so im kinda stuck.

Did i just not see it or?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
It should have two removable panels that are very easy to find. They are about the size of a 4X6 index card, 5X7? They are black, so unless you are pure covered in grease they should be easy to find. One is right near the slave, as in you see the slave poking through once it is removed, and the other is in the same place on the other side.

I hope you aren't discovering that you don't have the proper bellhousing, or even worse the wrong transmission. There should also be a plate between the bellhousing and the engine. You have to remove the lower bolts of the tranny completely, and pull it out. It's not easy, as I believe it has a seal at the top edge. All that will allow you to see though is the back side of the flywheel.

SupaMan

Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
The only part you mentioned that i have is the panel that lets you see the back of the engine. the trans and bellhousing is actually very clean and silver and theres no panels anywhere.

i can take pictures in a little bit if youd like you guys can tell me whats goin on here.

not to be mean or a dick or anything but you are seeing that this car is n/a right? its in my sig do i figured you did but i just wanted to be sure.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
SupaMan;1285307 said:

not to be mean or a dick or anything but you are seeing that this car is n/a right? its in my sig do i figured you did but i just wanted to be sure.

Well, I see the new posts, and ya, I was thinking turbo the whole time for some reason. After I saw that, I looked back at the original post in here, and damn, there you say W58. I'm so Stupid

SupaMan

Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
ForcedTorque;1285365 said:
Well, I see the new posts, and ya, I was thinking turbo the whole time for some reason. After I saw that, I looked back at the original post in here, and damn, there you say W58. I'm so Stupid

Oh no its cool man it happens in general section but when you post stuff like this i wanna hear from all not just GE guys. Which is why i posted here. thanks for your help tho guys! i didnt know they didnt have inspection covers i guess thats why i didnt find info about them in the search. i thought maybe i just over looked it the last time i was under the car.