Broken front wheel studs? I got the fix.

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
Hey guys supper happy I just got my 6 puck clutch in the mail. But other then that I getting ready for the track and I had two broken Lug studs on my car. {1 in the front 1 in the back same side go fig.} I posted on here a long time ago about changing the front one and how I didn't see a way with out pulling the wheel brg out. Today I changed the rear one and just wanted to look at the front one. I came up with this crazy idea to cut the metal behind the hub and fold it back just a lil bit. {i can take pics tomm. If anyone is Interested} I did that and taped the old one out with my hammer and slid the new one in. super easy. I blew out the shavings and put it all back together. {If you need brakes doing this at the same time is a good idea} Hope this helps some one.

Johnysupra

Rhenerie
Nov 7, 2007
Michigan
rhenerie.spaces.live.com
Don't wanna thread jack but does anyone know if the MKIII uses the same stud press fit diameter as MKIV's ? becuase MKIV guys use ARP SC300 studs because they are longer (and stronger). wanted to know if i can do the same

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I have a pic of this somewhere, let me see if I can find it.

The MKIII and MKIVs uses the same wheel stud AFAIK (at least the ones I picked up at Autozone were the same).

Edit: Found it. Not very clear, but you can see the metal bent back in the picture. Cut the metal shield in a way that you can slightly bend back, pop out and replace the stud, then bend this tab back. Eventually, it may breake from all the bending. I would suggest that you maybe take the extra time and cut a hole, which can then be closed/covered with a grommet/plug.

wheel_lug.jpg

Last edited:

nerfkhat

Aug 24, 2005
centennial, Co
man i have one that is broken..but this is way easier then what your "suppose" to do. But im interested in this arp sc300 stud anyone have more info about these?