Broken fins

zman6127

ZMAN
Dec 30, 2008
Fort Wayne, IN
Hey guys i hope im posting this in the right section. Any way i have a newly rebuilt stock ct-26 with less then 2000k miles on it runnig 8lbs with a manual boost controller. my accordian hose was damaged at the bottom and something came in and broke a few of the fins on the turbo :icon_evil. My question is that it still boosts fine and doesnt sound different that i can hear but i dont want to cause any more damage to the turbo by driving it with the broken fins because like i said it is freshly rebuilt with no shaft play and less than 2000k miles on it. What do you guys think or know about this topic and is it ok for me to drive like it is until next spring when i have the money to pull the turbo and get it fixed? i have since parked it in my garage since i found the damage and am putting the camry to work. Any input is appreciated.....thanks guys:1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp:

zman6127

ZMAN
Dec 30, 2008
Fort Wayne, IN
MDCmotorsports;1380500 said:
The turbo will eventually self destruct. Before the huge explosion, you'll encounter odd sounds, strange boosting issue, and possible oil consumption.

so basically i should keep it in the garage and not drive untill i get it fixed. MAN THAT SUX. At least ive got my camry to drive me around untill then. When i get it pulled off what should i do as far as getting it repaired since it is a new rebuild and the only prblem is the broken fins. is there particular place you would recommend to send it off too. and what am i looking price wise to get the compressor wheel replaced when i do it this winter or spring (gotta save the dollas)? Or would it be cheaper to snag a used one up and just get this one rebuilt later down the road?

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
zman6127;1380516 said:
so basically i should keep it in the garage and not drive untill i get it fixed. MAN THAT SUX. At least ive got my camry to drive me around untill then. When i get it pulled off what should i do as far as getting it repaired since it is a new rebuild and the only prblem is the broken fins. is there particular place you would recommend to send it off too. and what am i looking price wise to get the compressor wheel replaced when i do it this winter or spring (gotta save the dollas)? Or would it be cheaper to snag a used one up and just get this one rebuilt later down the road?

I bekeive driftmotion sells stock rebuilt for like $615

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Isnt the compressor, Axel, and turbine balanced as a whole assembled unit? If so it wouldn't matter if said compressor wheel is balanced as it will still throw the overall balance out...

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
gaboonviper85;1385451 said:
Isnt the compressor, Axel, and turbine balanced as a whole assembled unit? If so it wouldn't matter if said compressor wheel is balanced as it will still throw the overall balance out...

From what research i found .. i was under the impression the 2 were balanced seperatly..thats why i rebuilt mine.. and its got about 2000 miles on it.. Gfs 88 turbo took crap so i decided mine works fine ill put on hers and upgrade mine to all aftermarket stuff.. soooooo imho i think its ok to just pop another wheel on and go..

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
gaboonviper85;1385451 said:

That's why I told the OP that both the turbine wheel & compressor wheel would need to be balanced.

Theres 3 ways of balancing a turbocharger:

1.) Balance the turbine wheel & shaft, and compressor wheel separately.
2.) Balance the rotating assembly (turbine wheel & shaft, compressor wheel, thrust stack) as one unit
3.) Assembling the turbocharger and having the unit VSR balanced

If the OP has his turbine wheel & shaft balanced, and the compressor wheel balanced, he stands a good chance that when assembled, the turbocharger may live.

zman6127

ZMAN
Dec 30, 2008
Fort Wayne, IN
hey thanks guys for all the input. i guess at this point i may just find a upgraded ct26 this fall/winter and just upgrade and keep this one on the shelf for something down the road. it just seems to me that i can pick up one from one of you guys and bolt on and go with out the hassle of messing with this one since im so new to the turbo game. so guys ill be looking for a good used 57trim bolt on and go later this year. thatnks guys

zman6127

ZMAN
Dec 30, 2008
Fort Wayne, IN
yeah ive seen new wheel replacements...i worked for a diesel company in high school and we rebuilt turbos/injectors and pumps so i have the knowledge i think to pull the turbo housing off and replace the wheel but has anyone done this and had the turbo last. money is so tight right now with my toyota dealership that i work for being so slow and me getting paid off tech hrs. that i want to hope that i can just pull the damaged wheel off and replace it myself. ANYONE DONE THIS?????