Broken Cruise Control Cable at Actuator

landtoy80

Jul 16, 2007
grand junction, CO
The outer cover of the cable is broken at the cruise control actuator, the cable is fine.
Can it be fixed by gluing?
Can the cable cover be replaced, what about the complete cable or do I have to replace the actuator and cable assembly?

The problem I have with the cc is there is a delay from the time I set the cruise to when it sets. Its not a long delay just enough to be a pain. When I set the cruise and let my foot off the peddle, the speed drops about 3 or 4 mph, then it pulls the speed up to the set speed.

I assume the problem is somehow related to the broken cable cover at the actuator BUT I am just guessing.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
nope, the delay is completely normal and has been that way in EVERY car I've used CC on...

the cable will function fine with the break in it, mine is also broken and it's pretty common as well...

landtoy80

Jul 16, 2007
grand junction, CO
I adjusted the cable a little be it the delay is not as bad.
I also adjusted the throttle cable to the auto tranny for a second time.
Things must stretch over time.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Just leave your foot on the throttle until the cruise pulls it out from under you. It will engage smooth as silk.

Mine is also broken, and like poodles said, every car I have ever driven had a delay before the cruise kicked in.

landtoy80

Jul 16, 2007
grand junction, CO
I tried leaving the foot on the peddle but for some reason I could leave my foot on the peddle and engage the CC but it wouldn't lock up until I let my foot off the peddle and would still drop rpms.
I haven't tried holding my foot on the peddle and letting the CC take over yet.

landtoy80

Jul 16, 2007
grand junction, CO
IJ.;921953 said:
No way known the Line Pressure cable to the Trans will ever stretch there's minimal load on it you're just turning a valve with a light return spring on it.

It could be that the last owner may of had work done to the motor and the throttle cables were removed and not adjusted correctly.
I did have the throttle cables off when I tuned it up.
Don't remember if I adjusted the tranny cable before or after the tuneup.