Bringing "Old School" back to life

ma67 lover

Dec 17, 2008
montana
So awesome update time! I mean that sarcastically by the way.... So after having the motor all assembled I put oil in it to prime the motor and it started pouring oil out of the front timing cover on the passanger side. Luckily it was still out of the car but I was still pretty upset.

Found out it was this little allen plug that the machine shop took out. They gave me a hand full of these new and wasnt sure what they were for and the hole seemed like it was just for a bolt but oh was I wrong. Hopefully this helps someone not make this same mistake!

Got it all back together, sealed, and primed with oil. Clutch shows up on tuesday I think so hopefully by this next weekend she should be running!

ma67 lover

Dec 17, 2008
montana
supraguy@aol;1994609 said:
Good to see this progress.
Thanks man, always appreciate the kind words!

So I'm good friends with the guys at the parts and actually just got a red top batter for 15$ if it retains a charge well, If not I will get the other one they are holding for me. Not to shabby at all :) Monday when all the car audio shops are open I'm going to go in and grab a handfull of power wire and a circuit breaker for my relocation. Couple feet of conduit also, no one likes getting chafed especially wiring!

All I have left as of right now is to slap on the intake manifold, put my clutch on and bolt the transmission down(clutch arrives wednesday), run my power wire, and turn that key!

One thing I am curious about is having my intake manifolds all powder coated (minus the mounting surfaces of course) and also having a heat shielding intake manifold gasket will that effect my ecu grounds on the intake manifold right there? I'm debating on checking resistance from the ground pin on the ecu to the block when those grounds are hooked up to see how she is. Curious on opionions on the subject though. It will probably be fine but sometimes you cant help but wonder. Few extra grounds never hurt a motor either though.

ma67 lover

Dec 17, 2008
montana
Been too busy to update because I have been busting ass from sunrise to sunset. Got a lot done though :)

Got my spec stage 3 in from my buddies at brewedmotorsports.com and tossed this guy on her.

Got the motor all the way in the night after I got the clutch in and was up till 4am getting mostly everything done.

The next night I got it started after running a new power wire to my starter from my batter in the rear hatch, draining all the fuel and putting more back in her, resetting my fuel pressure, and double checking all my connections.

My roommate and I raced to see who's car would be finished first and he beat me by one day :( I have to buy him an all inclusive sushi dinner. He did an lm7 swap into his miata with a t56 transmission.

Got the car all timed and made sure I was leaking any fuel oil or coolant. Got up to temp and took her for the first pull. Pulled pretty dang hard but has a tick, think when i was doing the math for my shims at 4am I might have messed up on one. Started leaking a little coolant from the turbo coolant line and pulled over and tightened that one. Did another pull and a bunch of fluid sprayed and luckily I was one block away. Filled it with water to try and find out where it was leaking from and it just started pouring out the turbo side...... GOD DAMN freeze plug popped out! Bought another for 1$ tossed it back in and let it warm up and still is seeping out.

All this frustration I called toyota and they reccommend that I use red loctite and tap that little guy back in and she should be bueno. Im going to try and tap the seating point with a flat head to see if that will just seal it so I dont have to pop it out and try to get a new one back in.

I will post more pictures and what not later, maybe a video next week once I get her registered again.

ma67 lover

Dec 17, 2008
montana
suprafreak123;1995958 said:
Really nice !!!!! MY FRIEND HAD ONE OF THOSE CARS AND DAMM THEY WHERE FREAKING FAST.WHAT IS YOUR GOAL ON THiS CAR??

I bought the car specifically for racing a few years back and have just been building from the ground up. Im going to participate in drift events starting at stateline speedway in post falls idaho and also race in the local auto-x scene to get more seat time and really dial in the chassis the hopefully progress further into both drifting and maybe even a little time attack. Car only weights in at 2900 lbs with myself and a full tank of gas and there is tons more weight to be shed all over the car. When I did auto-x I got first in my class but its only montana so nothing too crazy to be proud of haha.

MkIII FTW;1995927 said:
Damn this car is nice. I hope it all goes well for you.
Im getting there man, have a couple other projects to finish first to fund this gal and back to the supra grind!

ma67 lover

Dec 17, 2008
montana
1986.5supra_kid;1996191 said:
I had a mk2 p type white. the plan was 1uz with ITBs out the hood. One day when i have a baller garage like this dude ill have to start on one.
oh how badly I want a 1uz mk2!! pure sex with itb's.

My plan as of right now is to setup a relay for my electric fans tomorrow, try to reseal my still seeping freeze plug, and double check that the timing is spot on. Might hook up my check engine light tomorrow just to check codes and make sure nothing out of the ordinary is going on.

ma67 lover

Dec 17, 2008
montana
MkIII FTW;1996294 said:
What kind of fans are you running?

The actual brand I am not positive I bought them a while back, couple 12" electric fans and they did pretty well last time my car was running even in race conditions. Came in a kit with a shroud also.

I set the timing spot on today and I'm super happy with that. It has a random misfire that is very intermittent and I'm thinking its because of the cps and will try to find a decent used one soon.

ma67 lover

Dec 17, 2008
montana
So I have been doing a little plugging away. Pulled the codes and have three of them; 22 which is water temp sensor signal to ecu, 31 which is AFM signal, and 51 which is switch signal.

22 I just pulled my green coolant temp plug and it crumpled in my hand and one of the pins was already bushed back so it wasnt making contact -_- easy fix at least.

31 I havent checked my afm quite yet for resistance to see if it is within spec because the plug isnt the best either so I thought I would just change it since im buying new plugs anyways so got a new afm plug for a couple dollars.

51 Is the switch signal. It refers to a few things which are ac switch circuit, ac switch, and tps signal. I dont have ac so It is most likely that but I want to make sure my tps is in awesome working condition and within spec.

I hit up driftmotion and bought a new afm plug, ecu coolant temp plug, a new male cps plug for the harness side, and a 200amp circuit breaker for my battery. She should be communicating pretty well after all this. More pictures to come once I get in my parts!

ma67 lover

Dec 17, 2008
montana
So daily driver broke down so now im driving the supra as a daily. Just got it running decently two days ago but has a random missfire every once in a while. I think its because of my cps so tomorrow I'm getting a new cps, coolant plug, coil pack, and a iacv from a buddy and see if shes golden after that! I have 26 miles on it since I rebuilt the motor but its all going well. have done a couple little spirited pulls with tons of engine decel to set the rings, once it is warmed up fully of course. Runs 1000x better than before! Pictures tomorrow because I have been too busy to upload stuff lately. Keep on wrenching everyone!!!!!

ma67 lover

Dec 17, 2008
montana
From a local friend I got a new IACV, coolant temp plug, and cps. Really helped with a handful of my running issues and does very well now! I have about 235 miles on the rebuild and she runs pretty darn strong. Really makes me realize how badly my old motor ran. Couple photos now!

So the drift motion upgraded oil pump does pretty well :) oil pressure gets way up there and once I toss on my oil cooler kit it should do awesome all the time. Once it gets fully warmed up it drops a little but thats going to happen.

Here you can kinda see the puddle of oil that was at the bottom of my old cas. The wires were also brittle and the wire wrap was pulled off in the plug and was corroded. Didnt even want to mess with it so just got a new one.

Little car wash and she is back on the road and looking awfully purdy :)

Couple of the local guys just haning out grabbing lunch.

Now on my to do list is:
1. Cut off the rest of my bump stops on my oem control arms
2. Hook up reverse lights
3. Change oil
4. Remeasure cam shims to fix tick
5. Setup e-fans on thermo switch.
6. Make lower radiator mounts
7. Make ss lines for oil cooler
8. Enjoy the shit out of this bitch!

http://instagram.com/p/l-VwMStD8q/