Bringing "Old School" back to life

ma67 lover

Dec 17, 2008
montana
So it has been a very long road bringing this poor girl back from where I got her. She sat in a field for 7 years and only had 70k on it but had a straight body. Hopefully everyone Checking out this thread likes pictures, because I have a SHIT TON! Shes an 82 Supra I found here in montana and has been an awesome learning project! So I guess here comes the pictures! :icon_bigg

I wont post many of the day I picked it up because it was horrid! She was an eye sore but had potential.

Very thin layers of bondo needed but came out pretty well.

Guide coat to see where the high spots all were.

Roof was pure shit so had to strip down to bare metal with a razor.

A big debate for me was the color choice but I finally decided with something kinda flashy but still kinda inconspicious.

Debut day was glorious!!

I chose a black with a heavy gold flake. Turned out very neat and I dig it!

Literally a week after I finished the paint I got a very interesting sound in my block... rod knock of course.

Decided to rebuild the 5m, got the crank all ground down and getting .25 oversized bearings and what not.

Then I got a 7mge for free and decided to build that so I of course got arp head studs. Had it all honed and the crank polished and what not.

Bought some fidanze cam gears too. When I was tightening the connecing rods one of the rod bolts snapped though :( so out of pure anger I went online that night and bought a 7mgte.

So took about 6 months to get my 7mgte because in transit it was shanked by a fork lift and was stabbed through the oil pan. I told them I didnt care because I was converting it to front sump and all that stuff was garbage anyways but the insisted on sending it back to be inspected by the seller. The ecu was also stabbed....

Finally got her in on a pallet though! My first order of business was to get rid of hard turbo oil lines because I despise those!

Now see doesnt that look better?

The previous owner painted some stuff blue like the lower intake manifold and hoist point, that wasnt going to work so I had it all powder coated black and had a heat shielding intake manifold gasket installed.

Yeah this previous crap wasnt going to cut it.

Got my harness done by tweak'd performance, these guys are amazing!!

Comes with awesome instructions even of the minimual wiring you have to do personally.

Since this is a 7m in a mk2 you have to have a custom downpipe.

Nice mk3 radiator im rocking with a dm intercooler and a cx racing ic kit.

Since I got a down pipe I should probably get the rest. This is a cat back from Raptor Racing with a cat delete. Money well spent!

Thing is pure awesome sauce!

I bought an Aeromotive RRFPR with all stainless lines, again I hate hard lines. I bought a 1uz afm so getting this would top that mod off.

Black powder coat with a little gold accents looks aight :)

Got her on the lift and cut all the holes for the ic piping.

Turn the key to prime it and the injectors all start pouring down the block and fuel is pouring out by the tank...

Got it all running after a couple hiccups though.

I did a bunch of suspension mods while I was getting all the stuff sorted out with the motor. Front and rear addaco sway bars, 450lb ground control front springs, 300lb rear lowering springs, t3 camber plates, kyb agx's front and rear, and also a steering angle kit.

Car ran pretty hard for about 4 months. I even won an auto cross event then started making a funny noise... Thought it was the turbo because the bearings in the turbo were pretty bad. Went to change it and cranked it over with the turbo off and still heard the noise. Realized what it was and parked it :(

Took a lot of sexy photos before it died though!

So now I continue my rebuild. I was in the middle of moving into a new house so had to do some work outside, uhhh yeah....

Most retarded thing I have ever done ugh..

Got a new block for 200$. The cyl walls were bad so had to be bored out though, could be worse.

oh yeah and my "noise" wasn't a rod.... I guess I detonated a piston some how.

I do a lot on the side though, built this car for a buddy.

Finally got a garage too!

Decided to fix a bunch of broken ass clips, and my fried 02 sensor wires.

finally pulled the old motor out too because I moved into this new house with a shop.

Always working on fun projects.

Good stuff :)

[
Back to me though, got some .5mm over pistons for the 7m.

Got the deck all shaved for a mhg and lubed up all the cyl walls.

Also painted it all and put in all new freeze plugs.

Little suspension shot after I installed new struts not to long ago, old ones got a little messed up.

Got all ALC Race bearings.

I also had arp rod bolts pressed in and all the connecting rods re rounded :)

Dropped in all my pistons.

Got a one off front sump drift motion modifyed oil pump. They used a cressida pump, moly coated the gears and put a stronger spring in the oil pump relief.

Also bought an an8 oil pump to block hose from driftmotion.

Buddy at brewed motorsports got me a cometic hg and new arp head nuts for a screaming deal!

Got the head all torqued down to spec with arp lube.

Also started doing all the shim gaps for the cams.

Doing some math to see what sizes I get so I can order them from toyota. I could juggle around a couple of them at least. What these numbers represent; first number is the actual gap, then the shim thickness, tolerance range of acceptable thicknesses, and desired thickness. Took me a couple hours but worked out well for me. Also for other people dont do this in inches because toyota sells in mm only, hopefully will prevent someone else from making my same mistake.

So as you can see I have been all over the damn place in this car and have quite a bit of money and heart invested. Right now I'm just saving money to buy a clutch from clutchmasters which was actually started in my home town of missoula montana strangely enough. Should be up and running by the end of next month and just in time to start having some fun!! Lemme know what you guys think and I will update more as time goes.:naughty:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Looks fantastic- and way to hang in there through the bumps.
LMK what shim sizes you need. I prolly have a few.

ma67 lover

Dec 17, 2008
montana
supraguy@aol;1990704 said:
Looks fantastic- and way to hang in there through the bumps.
LMK what shim sizes you need. I prolly have a few.

Thanks man I apreciate it. I ordered them from toyota already and get a decent discount through the one here. Picking up those gals this upcoming friday. Should be droping the motor in next weekend hopefully also.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Very nice car and build. I really like the MK2 Supra as well as the MK3. You plan to put the SUPRA stencil thing on the rear hatch? I always really liked that on the MK2's.

ma67 lover

Dec 17, 2008
montana
Silver MK3;1990709 said:
Very nice car and build. I really like the MK2 Supra as well as the MK3. You plan to put the SUPRA stencil thing on the rear hatch? I always really liked that on the MK2's.

Actually I kinda like the debadged look. I was debating on getting "Celica XX" badges for the nose and door pillars so it wouldnt say supra anywhere. Just to add more to the "back to the future" image that all idiots say haha. I like the idea but motor build first for sure.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
ma67 lover;1990718 said:
Actually I kinda like the debadged look. I was debating on getting "Celica XX" badges for the nose and door pillars so it wouldnt say supra anywhere. Just to add more to the "back to the future" image that all idiots say haha. I like the idea but motor build first for sure.

People think your car is a DeLorean?

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
that looks pretty awesome! you should put that thing on the dyno after, even with 300rwhp that thing should be quick being fairly light.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
atmperformance;1990886 said:
no one is going to bring up the down side to that soft line?

I wouldnt run it, but it's a pretty debatable topic...plus some people have the means to rebuild whenever they want...like MA67!

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
atmperformance;1990886 said:
no one is going to bring up the down side to that soft line?

He's working so hard- I didn't wanna poop in his cornflakes.

PS- I love your garage space. I'd kill for that much real estate.

ma67 lover

Dec 17, 2008
montana
its all braided an line so it wont swell too much and plus the upgraded oil pump and new oil squirter bolts will help keep the pressure up. The new pump didn't come with a new hard line from drift motion so just bought that kit that drift motion offers. Should be just fine I am honestly not worried at all. Got tons done today btw. Helicoiled all the exhaust studs with driftmotions coarse kit, bolted on the turbo and manifold, put on the rear crank seal, and slapped on the oil pan. If I get paid by this guy who I did a bunch of work on his dodge I will pick up my shims and finish all that and slap on the intake manifolds and valve covers. The gasket kit I got didn't include the turbo oil line gaskets so going to try and source one up tomorrow. I have ss AN lines for the turbos oil lines. Will probably throw down some more photos tomorrow!

Yeah the garage space is so nice! I can put 5 cars in this one that is in my back yard and have another garage connected to my house that we just store rims and tires in haha. Between my two roomates and I we have 11 cars haha. Tis all for tonight.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Nice build! I really want a 7mgte mk2. How did you figured out the "Desired" thickness. My buddy head is tapping pretty loud and we're trying to replaced all the shims. Help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

ma67 lover

Dec 17, 2008
montana
akito;1991083 said:
Nice build! I really want a 7mgte mk2. How did you figured out the "Desired" thickness. My buddy head is tapping pretty loud and we're trying to replaced all the shims. Help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

It really isnt too hard, first know your tolerances in mm. Intake is .15mm-.25mm and the "desired" thickness is .2mm. Exhaust is .2mm-.3mm and the "desired" is .25mm. Take your gap "A" (if its too large that is) and subtract the desired gap (if you're doing intake) .2 to get lets call it "B". Then grab a micrometer and measure the actual shim. it might be concaved so I measured a couple times kind of in the middle to get a general number which lets call "C". IF your shim in the head is too small just take "B" and add to "A" and that will give you the desired thickness that is right between the high and low. IIRC Toyta only sells in .05 intervals so I always got the one that was a hair bigger because it will wear down over time. Hope that helps man.

ma67 lover

Dec 17, 2008
montana
Had a long ass day yesterday and didn't have the desire to upload photos yet haha. So heres a few snaps.

yeppers pretty dang close! hopefully go in this next weekend!

Got all my power steering stuff figured out so I can finally have power steering again. You can see my beefy ass outer tie rods and the drop spacers to keep my tierods in check with the ground.

ma67 lover

Dec 17, 2008
montana
Just bought a Spec stage 3 clutch today and should be here by friday and hopefully have the car up and running this week! More photos to come soon if my schedule permits.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Way to go, man. So much love for the 80's monsters that embarrass the 'Justin Beibers' of the sports car world...(rsx's, sti's, rx8's...)

ma67 lover

Dec 17, 2008
montana
supraguy@aol;1992575 said:
Way to go, man. So much love for the 80's monsters that embarrass the 'Justin Beibers' of the sports car world...(rsx's, sti's, rx8's...)

Yeah man when I had her running before it was awesome! The most shocked was a guy I pulled on hard in one of the fast lightnings. Cant wait to have her back up and running

atmperformance;1992569 said:
Did you buy new connectors for your harness? is so where?

I just bought them all from driftmotion.com. They sell pretty much any connector you could need.