Brian Crower Stage 2 cams RPM operating range?

BLACKCAT

May 24, 2007
BHG
From what I have been able to find out they seem to work well from around 3,000 rpm onwards.
How high is determined by the condition of your valve springs, exhaust etc.
The idle quality is ordinary, with the stock ECU, & you will have to advance both cams quite a bit as it will probably idle like crap at 0 & 0.
Installing adjustable cam gears (lucky I got mine) will make it so much easier to get acceptable results.

amichie

Apr 13, 2006
sYDNEy
I have found with mine that the performance is better than the stock cams throughout the rev range. The pick up off the mark is great and when the ECU changes gear they are still pulling stong.

The idle quality however is now marginal.

My cams are both set to +3 deg advance as mentioned above and general drivability etc is excellent.

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
amichie said:
I have found with mine that the performance is better than the stock cams throughout the rev range. The pick up off the mark is great and when the ECU changes gear they are still pulling stong.

The idle quality however is now marginal.

My cams are both set to +3 deg advance as mentioned above and general drivability etc is excellent.

what do u mean, when the ecu changes gear? I'm looking for pull past 6,000rpm.

amichie

Apr 13, 2006
sYDNEy
chris89 said:
what do u mean, when the ecu changes gear? I'm looking for pull past 6,000rpm.

The ECU controls the gear shifts and when it changes gear it still has very good power.

5500-6000rpm shift points. I think fuel cut occurs around 7000rpm so there is not much more room to move.

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
I really can't spend to much more money on an safc2 or an aftermarket valve springs/ retainers kit. Will the car run fine with just the stage 2 brian crower cams, and AEM Adjustable Cam gears, and my Stock Valve springs and retainers? Is there anyway i could just Use my stock Cam gears possibly? and have the car running fine? I'm really debating on if i will really need the new valve springs and retainers. BTW when i had my head rebuilt they tested the valve springs etc and they were good. Are AEM cam gears pretty good?

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Comp Cams part#: 975. It's the inner valve spring for a big block chevy dual spring kit. 55 lbs. seat pressure, 127 lbs open pressure. Stock is around 35 lbs. seat pressure. You need 2 sets. They run around $30 each set from Summit, but I got mine from a local Comp dealer for $50 total.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Stock valve train will only be good for stock rev limit and red line. Once you go beyond a certain point, the valves will start to "float," meaning they hang open because the springs don't have enough opening pressure to pull them closed before the cam lobe comes around again. So the stock valve train is only good for the stock limit. In order to get higher revs, you need to upgrade the valve train. Cams will give you more power as the motor will breathe better, but not a higher rev limit than stock, as the valve train hasn't been upgraded.

I hope that came out right...

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
yeah it did, I understand now. I'm just looking to keeping the rev limit at what 6,750rpm... that's where mine seems to limit at. I'm just looking to making the engine stronger and make it wanna make power all the way until the redline if not all the way to the limiter. Do you know if the 7m-gte adjustable cam gears will work on the 7m-ge as well?

amichie

Apr 13, 2006
sYDNEy
chris89 said:
yeah it did, I understand now. I'm just looking to keeping the rev limit at what 6,750rpm... that's where mine seems to limit at. I'm just looking to making the engine stronger and make it wanna make power all the way until the redline if not all the way to the limiter. Do you know if the 7m-gte adjustable cam gears will work on the 7m-ge as well?

Yes. The 7m-gte cam wheels will work. They are the same.

You can achieve +/-3 and +/- 4.5 and +/- 6 and +/- 7.5 degrees with the stock cam wheels. They are a vernier style wheel. However you will have to remove the wheel and refit it to change the timing.

Adjustable cam wheels just make it easier.

If your rev limit is 6750 rpm then your stock valve gear is more than upto the job.

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
So will the car idle and run fine with both the cams at 0* with the stock cam gears? I need to know if i need adjustable cam gears. What do u mean by stock valve gear? never heard of it. Did u mean cam gear?

amichie

Apr 13, 2006
sYDNEy
chris89 said:
So will the car idle and run fine with both the cams at 0* with the stock cam gears? I need to know if i need adjustable cam gears. What do u mean by stock valve gear? never heard of it. Did u mean cam gear?

By valve gear I mean springs, retainers, buckets etc.

With cams set at 0 you will most likely get the same crap performance that I and Blackcat have found.

If you advance both cams by +3 degrees your performance will most likely be pretty close to optimum. I am assuming you have an otherwise stock NA engine.

Just use the stock cam wheels and change the hole the drive pin goes in to give you + 3 degrees.

If you are not confident in doing this then go and buy a set of adjustabe wheels.

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
I had a question about head bolts. I plan on getting ARP head bolts but i was wondering if I should use Red lock tite on them? Also does the head bolts come with instructions on what the torque specs are supposed to be? or is there any torque spec that might be more reliable?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
chris89 said:
I had a question about head bolts. I plan on getting ARP head bolts but i was wondering if I should use Red lock tite on them? Also does the head bolts come with instructions on what the torque specs are supposed to be? or is there any torque spec that might be more reliable?
ARP bolts come with lube to install them with and torque specs.
Read up on the other threads on here, there's plenty, for tips and do's and don'ts.

Amichie: By moving the pin on the stock gears wouldn't that be more than 3 deg.? It sure looks like it would be. Can you just off set the timing belt to get the 3 deg? It looks like that dimension would be less. I haven't counted the teeth on the gears to see how many degrees it would be.