Breaking in Clutch

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
Hey guys, i just took my car to driftmotion to get all my seals redone ^_^ so basically, while they had the tranny out...they said whoever installed my last clutch put the FLYWHEEL IN BACKWARDS!?! lol i was like what the hell...but i guess the hub and fork was grinding up on each other..and the clutch was basically fucked...so i just decided to go with a stage 1 clutch since i dont plan on going over 300HP..and i just wanna know what you guys think about the break in period. is there even really one? when i talked to DM they said just take it easy for the first couple hundred miles..just wanted to see if anyone else had an experience with it..i just ask because my buddy had his clutch replaced on his VW jetta turbo..and the VW dealer told him not to take it above 3k for 2000 miles. Any input is appreciated!

John

closetnerd

35% Biotic
Feb 15, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
This is what Exedy recommends for their clutches...

"How to set-up and what to expect from an Exedy sport/racing product."

"Break in period should be that of 500 miles of city type driving, double the break in period for highway driving. No aggressive driving. No hole shots or drag launches. Gear changes should be made at 4,000 RPM or less. No speed shifting."

http://www.exedyusa.com/documents/How to properly choose a sports.pdf

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
ah. sweet. even though its not an exedy product i guess its safe to venture and say this is the same for most all clutches for our car...and their "break in" period is pretty much how i drive all the time anyways ^_^ thanks!