Brand new turbo smoking?

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
I recently installed a brand new DBB T67 (garret) turbo on a 2jz. I am running a -4AN feed line with a .030 restrictor in the oil inlet, the drain is -10AN with a 45* off the bottom of the turbo and a 45* on the block. There is no kinks or sharp bends in the drain line. Now once the car is warmed up is starts smoking on decel and right after you rev it. I pulled the turbo off, and sure enough it was leaking out the turbine seal, and the housing and turbine were covered in oil. I sent the turbo in to get repaired, they said it was fine, but replaced the seal anyways. Now I reinstalled the turbo and it is still smoking, however less than before. I was told that it is an oil feed or drain problem....now I am using the same feed/ drain that I have put on many other JZ's without any problems. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
The .030 restrictor is what the turbo shop gave me with the turbo. The crank case is simply venting to atmosphere.

Update: after driving it for a few days the smoke seemed to mostly go away, I guess it must have been residual oil in the DP and exhaust.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
becauseican;1440310 said:
The crank case is simply venting to atmosphere.

Update: after driving it for a few days the smoke seemed to mostly go away, I guess it must have been residual oil in the DP and exhaust.

You need to rig up some sort of PCV system. There are several seals on these motors that don't like being under any sort of internal pressure.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I agree on the PCV system, and about the only advantage the M motors have over the JZ's is that the oil seals don't care as much about crankcase pressure.

There are many catch can setups available, but I think that using an air filter for a larger compressor/air flow is the best idea. (They trap oil better, that's for sure.)

Check out your local Parker supplier, or comparable type air filters/seperators. The sight glass on these is really nice too. Makes it easy to see how much oil you have trapped, and when to dump and clean the system at a glance.