Brand New Motor - First Try to Start - Problems

Trent

Quietly Browsing
Oct 30, 2007
Austin TX
Ok so this is a brand new from Toyota short block w/ refreshed head, MHG, etc etc etc. I've been buliding this thing for almost 6 months with the help of a friend and finally got a chance to crank it today and ran into some issues.

1. Took the oil feed off the turbo and ran it into a cup. Pulled EFI fuse and cranked for about 30 seconds about 3 different times. No oil ever came out of the hose?

Problem 2 could have to do with problem 1 but I can't figure out what is going on.

2. After a number of tries cranking I look under the car and there is about 1/2 to 3/4 quart of oil on the ground. It is coming out right by the power steering pump. All oil fittings from the turbo are dry and the only area that is wet is right there around the pump. The oil pan seems to be dry but part of the cork gasket is wet a little bit. We did use FIPG everywhere and have all new gaskets, etc.

I'm assuming that that oil leaking is part of the reason no oil came out of the oil feed line but that is only my guess. Any other ideas as to where this oil is coming from?

Thanks

Trent

Quietly Browsing
Oct 30, 2007
Austin TX
Figured out what it was. When you get a new shortblock, you don't get all the plugs and little bolts that go in the block to prevent oil from flowing out of it. Looks like we missed one. In the picture here you can see the threads just to the right of the oil pressure sender. It's just behind the front timing cover. From the best I can tell it should just be a plug that goes in there and there was all kinds of oil built up right there underneath it. Unfortunately I need to find that plug because I can't find one in any of the bolts i have. Well at least it was something simple :)

p1871820_1.jpg