Braking issues..help

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
Well my brother purchased a supra and i been helping him with his car upgrading suspension, maintenance items and so on. When it came to the brakes it felt very spongy and I completely flushed and bled all the lines and still felt bad. So i replaced the master cylinder and installed goodridge SS brake lines which seemed to help, but it still does not brake properly.

Yesterday i decided to lift the vehicle on jacks and remove the wheels, while inspecting the front brakes again i saw that the driver side rotor would not spin freely as the passenger side so i removed the caliper and pressed the brakes to see if it was seized but it moved freely in and out.

88 Supra with ABS
Car has a rebuilt MC, new Goodridge ss brake lines, new pads and completely fresh brake fluid.

What would cause one side to lock up and the other side to be free?

Thanks..

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
Last time i bled it was from furthest from the master cylinder RR,LR,FR,FL.. I gonna bleed it again today or tomorrow starting furthest from the abs actuator.

You think that could be the prob? Also should the bleeding process be done with car on or off?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Shouldn't matter. I've dobe it both ways. Never had a issue.

Sounds like a bad caliper or the slides are dry and needs to be greased.

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
hvyman;1973448 said:
Sounds like a bad caliper or the slides are dry and needs to be greased.

All the pins and slides are cleaned and greased with silicone paste, they move like butter... Im gonna bleed it again today to see if it helps

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
been lazy with the car but today i ordered a rebuilt caliper since the piston wont release after cracking the bleeder. will update once installed

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
yes it does spin freely with the caliper off. hopefully this will work if not might have to replace the booster which is something im trying to avoid

mk3supralove

Sep 14, 2012
Kelowna
If you're still having problems with the pedal feel try getting a master cylinder brace that'll prevent the brake booster from flexing the firewall.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
mk3supralove;1975674 said:
If you're still having problems with the pedal feel try getting a master cylinder brace that'll prevent the brake booster from flexing the firewall.

That isn't his problem. Fwiw I have upgraded pads, rotors, and stainless flex lines and I have a firm pedal.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk