brakes

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
any thoughts on PowerSlot slotted rotors?
there's a brake package at the SupraStore website that is very tempting. I just don't know anything bout powerslot like where they are made, quality etc.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yeah - the stock brakes are lacking. They will stop great - ONCE. I recommend you look into a 13" kit, such as the setup that Supra469 has linked. (Thanks, man! ;))

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Yes, I have seen that thread. I'm doing a complete brake job, front and back (new lines, rotors, calipers, and pads). I don't have $700 to throw into just the front brakes. That would put me over a grand for a complete brake job front and back.
Besides, I have already been advised on here that for an NA, I won't be reaching speeds where I would need 13" brakes. I'm not building a race car. I do eventually want to get more power gains through a swap, but that's later down the road. I just want good quality aftermarket brake components.

So, any thoughts on PowerSlot? (where are they made, quality...)

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
They should be Brembos basically. Atleast it's been told. I run them. Needed some cutting of the ABS shield in the front, but otherwise OK.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
salomon68;1178075 said:
Yes, I have seen that thread. I'm doing a complete brake job, front and back (new lines, rotors, calipers, and pads). I don't have $700 to throw into just the front brakes. That would put me over a grand for a complete brake job front and back.
Besides, I have already been advised on here that for an NA, I won't be reaching speeds where I would need 13" brakes. I'm not building a race car. I do eventually want to get more power gains through a swap, but that's later down the road. I just want good quality aftermarket brake components.

So, any thoughts on PowerSlot? (where are they made, quality...)

Powerslots are OK, I have them and they work well and seem to be made well, don't know were they are made. Bigger brakes are good for any car, if I could swing it I'd get the package that Doward is suppling. They always rag on the NA's don't pay any attention. I've had mine on the track at Sebring and believe me I sure wish I had the bigger brakes on several times.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
Dowards kit is FTMFW... and with the options the vendors have, its INSANEEEE!!!!! if i just didnt spend 600 on all new brakes (calipers, rotors, pads) then i would be jumping all over dowards GB... buttt... my brakes work a thousand times better now.

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
What kind of set-up do you have? (if you don't mind my asking)

Rennat;1178681 said:
Dowards kit is FTMFW... and with the options the vendors have, its INSANEEEE!!!!! if i just didnt spend 600 on all new brakes (calipers, rotors, pads) then i would be jumping all over dowards GB... buttt... my brakes work a thousand times better now.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
salomon68;1179619 said:
I don't have the money nor the time to save the money for the 13" kit, unfortunately.
Just fix what you have to with off the shelf parts for now until you can save up for a BBK.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
If he needs brakes now, it's not going to help much...

Powerslots are brembos that have been machined and plated. They're fine and you can probably get a better deal through A2motorsports (one of the forum sponsors).

If your stock rotors aren't horribly warped or too thin, machine them. Get new pads, torque your wheelnuts to the proper spec, and bed the brakes in properly and you'll be fine. It's 99% in the bedding process.

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I'm just gonna go with a cheaper setup for right now. By cheaper, I mean good OEM brakes.

The thing with this car is that I just got a rebuilt engine in it and running but the car has been sitting for a long time, about 4 years, all of which have been under a covered carport. Anyway, the tires are badly cracked, the brakes are super rusted. Believe me, they look horrible. Since this car is going to be running for a long time, I thought I would just replace everything. Plus, freezing temps are setting in and I've got to get this engine broken in properly. That's why I'm somewhat in a hurry and have know time to be saving up money for high performance parts. I just want to drive my baby!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I'd have to see how bad the rust is, but I bet they can be machined and be just fine. Usually it's just surface rust.

The pads and the rest of the moving parts I would be concerned about...

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
how much does it generally cost to get rotors turned? mine have a good amount of rust but i think they'll work for now.

we're already getting into the 20's at night here in east tennessee and i need to get this thing on the road. i think i'm gonna go cheap for now then by the BBK that Doward is selling.

speaking of which, how long is he gonna be selling that bracket kit? will this kit work with the stock 16" wheels?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Nope, barely won't clear the Sawz. I'll be selling them out until December 5th-ish, and after that you'll have to contact one of the shops buying multiple sets :)