Brakes won't let go

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
so i did my brakes yesterday

pads, and had the rotors turned (lemme just say F**K whoever decided to use those little banana springs to keep the pads seated)

anyway, got them all done, bled, greased the pins as best i could without seperating the caliper, and got the wheels back on. and took it for a ride.

drove about 2 miles, and the brakes felt fine. stopped, and my friend said "DUDE I SEE SMOKE!!!" my worst nightmare, turns out it was just a little fluid from bleeding. but my wheel was far too hot to touch, never mind the rotor its self.

i took the caliper back off and greased the pins better, but i can't get one of the pins out. there is one with a bolt submerged in the casing with a little cap on it that i couldnt seperate.

should greasing these slides fix my sticking problem? is there any maintenance i can do to the piston its self?

any input would be greatly appreciated, i need to get my brakes back on my car asap!

thanks alot in advance guys

736521_33.jpg

update, the other pin moves perfectly, this pin it totally seized, how do i get it out? aka how do i get to that bolt?

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
It's been a while, but I'm very sure that the pin (that's attached to the mount) should just pull [straight] out of the caliper (bore).

Since it obviously doesn't just come out, that probably means its ceased in there.

IIRC, the caliper and the mounting plate aren't actually attached by anything more than the single bolt on the bottom of the assembly. Pins hold the whole thing together to allow it movement.

Perhaps its time for a new pair of calipers?