Brake upgrades

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
In a couple weeks, I'll be home to get some more work done on my Supra and I was wondering what some recommendations are for brakes. I plan to install rebuilt calipers, and I was wondering what you guys recommend for upgraded pads/rotors. I also plan to replace the stainless braided brake hoses on it with new ones. I don't want to go the cheap route, but I'm also not looking for race ready status either. I'm open to any and all suggestions, I have heard good things about TRD pads, but I don't know if they are still available.
-AM3

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I know TRD's aren't available anymore (I really wish they were) but I see a lot of guys get slotted rotors and throw on EBC pads and call it a day. If it already has SS lines why replace them? I say take your calipers in and get them powder coated

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
yhatzee89;1952709 said:
I know TRD's aren't available anymore (I really wish they were) but I see a lot of guys get slotted rotors and throw on EBC pads and call it a day. If it already has SS lines why replace them? I say take your calipers in and get them powder coated
I'm replacing the lines because of their age and condition. Good idea on the powdercoating, for some reason it hadn't crossed my mind. Any brand in praticular on the rotors?
-AM3

Last edited:

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Scooter7M;1952936 said:
I had heard something about using 300zx calipers on the front. Can anyone with any good info on this chime in?

Not worth it, I looked into it and they really are only a cosmetic upgrade. The best bet so far seems to be the Mach1 kit. It's not a bad setup for the money. I'm gonna do it as soon as I have the money. I already have the Evo/STI rear BBK.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
300zx setup is the nightpager setup. For the cost, you could got with the arz wilwoods.

arz easily has the best brakes for the cost, but it's still not cheap...

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Poodles;1952951 said:
300zx setup is the nightpager setup. For the cost, you could got with the arz wilwoods.

arz easily has the best brakes for the cost, but it's still not cheap...

Exactly! For the cost of the nightpager setup you can have a legit BBK. The low cost option is the mach1/cobra setup.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
I don't have the budget for a BBK, an upgraded stock setup should do it for me. I do like the ARZ setup, but I'm wanting to do front and rear so that isn't an option at the moment. Are Stoptech rotors any good?
-AM3

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Skip the crossdrilled rotors...

They crack, fail, and aren't very smart on a street car (it's also a damn fad considering that modern brake pad material doesn't outgas like the old stuff)

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Poodles;1953158 said:

They crack, fail, and aren't very smart on a street car (it's also a damn fad considering that modern brake pad material doesn't outgas like the old stuff)

But they looks so cool!!!

I would have expected cross drilled to fail more on track cars than street cars...due to the larger temp ranges? no?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yes, but on a track or race car, you know they're expendable, and inspect them often. Much like heim joints on a road car.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Poodles;1953158 said:

I had read that, I was leaning towards the Stoptech slotted rotors that Suprasport sells, but I have heard mixed reviews about slotted rotors in general.
-AM3

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
solardrgn;1953976 said:
im also looking for brakes, but just pads. where can i find some decent priced EBCs and porterfields?

thanks!

i found these EBCs for $92 after submitting an offer, is this a good price?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/ebc-redstu...?skuId=2203165&filterid=c15862d2191y1991g30j5

I got Front and Rear EBC reds on autoplicity.com...lowest price I could find

http://autoplicity.com/products/4079-ebc_dp3608_2c_redstuff_low_dust_superstreet.aspx

http://autoplicity.com/products/4080-ebc_dp3610c_redstuff_low_dust_superstreet.aspx

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
im currently running the yellowstuff pads which im happy with but make a good amount of dust (slotted rotors probably add to this)

also with driftmotion ss lines

centric slotted rotors up front and normal centric rotors in the rear with some bosh pads lol