Brake System Problem.

Who

Supramania Contributor
IJ.;1132186 said:
^ why not?

If the system is going to fail somewhere else I'd much rather it be during a static test than later on the road.

Poodles;1132198 said:
Bingo ^^

If you can't stand on it, what happens in an emergency brake situation?

Make sure you bench bleed it before install.

I see your points and they are very valid. I personally had a experience when I bled a system. I used the gorilla tactic repeatably and I damaged the master cylinder seal. The master cylinder (car) did have over 200,000 miles on it though.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
So you proved it wasn't safe to be used on the road ;)

As I said better to find out in a static test where the worst that happens is it costs you some fluid and a master than out in the real world where it has the potential to cost your life.

Who

Supramania Contributor
IJ.;1132242 said:
So you proved it wasn't safe to be used on the road ;)

As I said better to find out in a static test where the worst that happens is it costs you some fluid and a master than out in the real world where it has the potential to cost your life.

Damn you got me. Experience wins again. :slap:

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Could he send the master cylinder to a Hydraulics shop to be fixed?

or possibly get the rebuild kit and follow the tsrm's rebuild procedure?

reman part from a jobber or rockauto should be a last resort imo. (since it is a very vital part and reman clutch hydraulics are a joke so i'll take it as brake parts being the same.)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Dunno if the service is available there but in the Past I've had Masters resleeved with a Stainless press fit sleeve, add a rebuild kit and you have a master that will outlast the life of the car.

The last one I bought for the Supra was ex Japan and is cast iron but most I've seen are Alumminium and once you wear through the internal anodising they're history and aren't able to be rebuilt short of sleeving.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
I've always bled the MC before installing it, that's how I was taught, seemed to make sense, so I did it.

So IJ, don't mean to put you on the spot or anything but...what's the reasoning on not bench bleeding MC's?
(if you already covered this and I'm being a dingus, I apologize in advance).

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
^ What he said ;)

I've worked on some really expensive cars over the years and I couldn't imagine trying to explain why the customers car was at the paint shop when it came in for brakes.

I'm NOT saying this is how you should do it only how I do it ;)

I figure it's all gravity related and you're not going to get a better bleed with it on a bench.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
I replaced mine with a Autozone and the reman unit had the rear plunger backwards. The remans out there are junk - either do it yourself or get the dealer new and save yourself a ton of problems. Nothing pisses me off more than stopping at a light and feeling brake problems cause my investment and life depend on it.

randandrawson@v

Sep 6, 2008
NC
easternguy2005;1133098 said:
I replaced mine with a Autozone and the reman unit had the rear plunger backwards. The remans out there are junk - either do it yourself or get the dealer new and save yourself a ton of problems. Nothing pisses me off more than stopping at a light and feeling brake problems cause my investment and life depend on it.

I agree, the reman stuff is junk. Advance has a bad rep (at least they did when I was flat rate) of buying up the "b" stock from the manufacturers. Thats how they sell a moog ball-joint for $30, they fished it out the dumpster.

I've had better luck with 150K parts off my parts cars than Advance or Autozone.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
This thread makes me nervous about my NAPA remanufactured MBC :nono:

So far it hasn't done anything out of the ordinary though