Brake shims?

SupraStoked

When I did the 4 wheel brake job on my car, I wasn't aware of any brake shims that were on the old pads when I took them off. I put the new pads on without any extra "shimming"... could this be why my brakes are soooo damn loud? I also get a clicking with every rotation of my passenger side rear wheel.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I don't run shims.

What pads?
If there cheap ones they can make noise easily.
If there good ones could be from improper break in or there just glazed over.

Take the pads out give them a little sand and the rotors too and should go away.

For rear could be parking brake or something caught. Would have to inspect everything.

SupraStoked

The pads are the cheapest ones I could get from advanced auto parts.. And yea I found one of the pins that holds one of my rear/drivers side brake shoe busted off..but this side doesn't have the clicking lol o_O

So sand the pads and rotors a little bit?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya. The squeaking will go away for a little but those pads are super cheap. Prolly organic so there going to glaze over fast again.

Look into some stock pads or atleast semi metallic. Posi quiet ceramics work pretty good for dd as well.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
hvyman;1889895 said:
I don't run shims.

What pads?
If there cheap ones they can make noise easily.
If there good ones could be from improper break in or there just glazed over.

Take the pads out give them a little sand and the rotors too and should go away.

For rear could be parking brake or something caught. Would have to inspect everything.

Thread invasion sorry, but thanks for this I have rotors and pads waiting for time to be installed this will be helpful once I complete them.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Maple191;1890115 said:
Why do people put on cheap parts and then complain about the quality of said parts...?

Your guess is a good as mine...

planemos;1890134 said:
Ask Mitt Romney

internet-bully-see-this-shit-stop-it.jpg

Consider this a warning.