Brake pads

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Nah, they're fine for daily driving and emergency stops....well, STOP since it won't do it more than once well lol

Not saying I didn't drive the piss out of mine (so bad the front rotors are blue), but they're sorely lacking when you get up to higher speeds, and have to constantly use them (spirited driving in the country, I usually have to back off a bit when they start getting hot).

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
oh..gotcha haha..well yea i mean i live in a suburban area..i cant really get to Spirited with my driving..i never go past 80..even on the freeway..so i mean..in that case..would it be worth it for me to get cryos? or just stick wit regulars

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
100% with poodles. The stock brakes just don't hold up. Slotted and drilled All the way around with porterfields. They are 100 times better then OE. autozone / napa pads and stock rotors but dep on the track be ready to have a pucker moment as you over speed a corner. Im gonna post pics of my rear brakes after 1 day at the track. They were stock rotors with rs4 pads.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ABDyyqwD9hjdLujI-rZwUdP5P2CEKT9e4411mvCdK24?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/v-5CaWMvi31PsQ4HQfPY69P5P2CEKT9e4411mvCdK24?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5JQ7uTv3CVPhX2C0TN5CidP5P2CEKT9e4411mvCdK24?feat=directlink

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
1-2clutch-u: How old were those brakes before the track abuse? It looks like you might have had all that rust contributing to the pads debonding... in addition to the heat of course.

I set my stock brakes on fire yesterday and they didn't debond. I didn't lose the pedal either, they just had friction fade. I'm running some generic mystery pads :3d_frown: and brand new Altrom rotors. The pads are white and burnt looking on the edges now, and I had a horrible screeching after they cooled down from glazing. I'm thinking I might do a pad upgrade for now, eventually I'm planning on doing the Cobra brakes.

About upgraded stock brakes though... (I'm stubborn to give up on something without exhausting all options)..

If the R-4S compound is fading at the track... why not try the R-4E? I'm not sure what rotor temps you guys are seeing on the track, but AFAIK unless you're approaching 1200 degrees you're not heating the rotors up to a failure point. The R-4E has a much higher friction coefficient than the street version, and handles heat MUCH better. It's friction levels are higher than the street version at low temps too, so it looks fine for street use other than some noise and extra rotor wear. Usually "racing parts" are no good for street use, but there are exceptions. I know that R4-E compound is common for DSM guys to run on the street, actually, RRE specifically recommends it on their site (and has for a LONG time).

The downside is, the R-4E are pretty damn expensive as far as brake pads go. ~$190 (compared to ~$70 for R-4S).

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
yea the rotors were old but the car sat for awhie b4 I took that pic got a lil lazy then got into a hit n run in my civic. here are pics of the o.e pads after 4 20 min sessions.

p1717988_1.jpg

p1717988_2.jpg

p1717988_3.jpg