Brake Lights Problem......

SupraStoked

So yesterday I find out that my brake lights don't get triggered when I step on the pedal. The light that's on the gauge cluster flickers really weird once I start the car and then shines solid when I step on the brake. I went to the hatch and pulled off the covers and the two main bulbs on each side are lit, but the plastic harness for the bulbs is cracked and so the ground points for the bulbs aren't letting the screws be fastened. Just moving the whole plastic bracket makes the stoplight warning on the dash flicker on and off. However, no matter what I do, I cannot get any reaction to the bulbs by pressing on the brake pedal.

Does anyone have any clue what this could be? All the other lights work just as they should (reverse, turn signals). The little switch that's on the brake pedal broke through the rubber stop a while back but a penny and some silicone fixed that problem. The little switch stops at the penny now but it doesn't trigger the stop lights at all.

BTW: Car is an 86.5 Manual Non-turbo 7m

Thanks

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
you said the ground is loose and isnt making a good connection? that could be a problem...

I had a similar situation and I used some star washers under the ground bolt...they are still slightly loose but they made enough of a connection to work...