Brake issue - Possible air in the system?

Josh913

Apr 5, 2005
Charlotte,NC
Hey guys, I changed my brake pads and flushed the fluid this past weekend - and now I feel l may have air in the system. The pedal will pretty much need to go all the way to the floor in order for the car to stop - but if I "double-pump" the pedal it will stop great.

I've tried bleeding them several times starting farthest away from the MC and working my way up using with someone pumping the pedal to build/hold pressure and then open up the bleeder momentarily - And i've also just tried the "gravity" bleed today, and still have the same issue.

- When I installed my motor/tranny I think I may have left a plug for the ABS unplugged and possibly out of reach above the tranny causing the ABS light to stay on - but the brakes worked fine up until this point.

- When I changed the pads - the front drivers side caliper was very much harder to compress than all others

- I haven't noticed any leaks anywhere - And the MC seems to stay full.

I've also been reading about a bleeding method that you fill a container partially with brake fluid - submerge the hose connected to the bleeder - And pump the pedal with the bleeder open? I've never done this, and if anyone can clarify as to what i'm looking for, and if the hose doesn't have a perfect seal to the bleeder will that allow air into the system? Just don't wanna make matters worse lol.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

87targa

Nov 14, 2005
Utah
keep bleeding the system. if you let the reservoir empty then you have to bleed the master cylinder. do not let the reservoir empty. what you can do is put in a colored brake fluid and then bleed until you see the color. also, you could have damaged the master cylinder (happened to me) if you compressed the calipers too fast when you were doing the brakes.

Josh913

Apr 5, 2005
Charlotte,NC
I apprciate the reply! I'll go ahead and bleed them more. I was thinking about buying the different colored brake fluid to test, but wanted to see if there was something I was missing first.

I'll have to look up how to tell if the MC has gone bad.

Thanks again!