Brake fluid reservoir restoration [Before and After *pics*]

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
So now that the OEM Aisin ABS brake fluid reservoir (and master) are discontinued, finding a nice example, let alone one you can actually see through, is next to impossible. I picked up a used reservoir off of facebook. It's condition was what you'd expect from a used 25+ year old reservoir that likey never had a fluid flush.

I searched the web and found a multitude of sources stating that concentrated peroxide (over 10%), a pinch of oxyclean and UV light (direct sunlight will work) will restore browning white plastics from the bromine reacting with UV rays. Even though the reservoir was likely stained (not browned from bromine), and it is clear (not white), I thought I'd give it a shot.

Here's where 4 hours under a UV light got me.

I'm happy with the results. In fact, if I had mixed up a fresh solution and set the reservoir back under the UV light for another session, I'm sure the results would only improve. But I'm satisfied with the results I received after the first application.

Time to bleed dem brakes!!! :icon_razz

Last edited:

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Can't see why not, however, it'll be an expensive process submerging those large items. Better off making the solution into a gel. Or possibly buying vol 40 hair activater in cream form. Not sure if the other ingredients weaken the plastic or not. The clear liquid stuff is just water, peroxide and phosphoric acid. That's what I went with.

Last edited: