Brake Caliper Rebuild?

bigal0043

Jun 29, 2005
Plattsburgh,NY
www.mk3supra.net
Alright so my passenger brake caliper was sticking, after looking around a new one is like 80$ vs a rebuild kit which is like 10$ would i be alright with one of those?

Btw today i pulled the caliper off and the boot was pretty messed up so i popped out the piston and cleaned up in there... little bit of dirt and i believe that was causing it to stick i had a hard time getting it out but once i did and cleaned it up it was easy to move after... looking at it the only thing that can go bad is the seal and boots...

So am i fine just getting a new seal and boots?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
MDCmotorsports said:
Napa has them for $40 exchange.

ya i did that for mine, after looking at the rebuild kit+ time and work to rebuild it. decided the price of a nice new rebuilt caliper i can just bolt on was the way to go. mine were pretty beat up(factory original no doubt) so it was money well spent i think.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
bigal0043 said:
the napa i went to said $60 was the cheapest one there... also the rebuild kit was 3$ at autozone... my piston looked fine as well as the piston hole... just needed a new boot

autozone/napa here had the rebuild kit for like 25$ was the cheapest i saw. it was only the seals not even the boots.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
bigal0043 said:
i hope its the right thing then

ya for 3$ i cant imagine you are getting a rebuild kit. like i said the kit i was going to use was 25$ and only came with i think 2 rubber seals. i think that was all it had.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I really hate to say this...and, really, I promise I'm not trying to insult your intelligence. But we had a guy on here a couple of days ago that installed new calipers and didn't bleed them before a test drive. IJ pointed out the safety concerns when doing your brakes...and he's right. Make sure you bleed em after you install that kit! ;)

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
bigal0043 said:
got the $3 kit today! Comes with the piston seal/gasket whatever you want to call it. Along with the boot for the piston...

wait and see how installation goes but seems to be the way to go

man thats crazy. sucks the stores near me didnt have that kit lol, oh well.

buy some speed bleeders to bleed with. makes it Very easy and you can do it yourself.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
bigal0043 said:
weird never even heard of those.. i can post up the part number if you want though... it was at autozone

ya post up the number im curious to see if its the same kit i almost bought.

i got a hook up on speed bleeders if your interested i can prolly get them cheaper than anywhere.