BOV Recirc options - Your thoughts please

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
I am using a Synapse BOV and plan to recirc, as I am using a NEO controller. My accordion was replaced with a stainless steel one, the inserts are in the same location. The position of my BOV is right above the stock BOV recirculation insert, so not realistic to try to contort a line to that position. So I need to add a new insert either way, so my plan was to add a 1" insert to alleviate a reduction in flow as a result of reduction in size.

My question is one that I think I already know what the logical answer is, but would like to have some feedback from those who have an opinion or experience.

Option #1 is simple 90 degree 1" insert, run a 1", attempting a swept 90 to the BOV.

Option #2 is to 45 the insert in, to alleviate a 90 degree on the line that will cause a restriction, but what I assume would be a big negative, is pushing the air from the BOV the wrong direction (towards the AFM) at a 45 degree angle.

I guess an option 3 could be to 45 it towards the turbo, but then you have to 180 the hose coming off and may gain nothing...

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

I am adding picture location as a link also... doesn't display image on my screen...

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy346/tdi2006/Supra/BOVRecirc.jpg

p1576994_1.jpg

Last edited:

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
i'd imagine veting air at the vortex generator from behind will cause turbulence and interupt the process of measuring the air. I'd set it up like factory.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 90deg bend restricting flow. will it be press bent or maintain its internal diameter?

you said you had all the factory outlets on the replaced accordion hose? what's stopping you from using the original bov return input?

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
I am not sure if you could see the image on the post, doesn't always display for me, so I added a link also... The stock BOV input is in the middle below BOV, so would have to do a 180 and a 90 to get to it, then reduce it to a 5/8 input... the new location would allow enough room to just do 1-90 bend and since I am adding, might as well do the same size so there is no reduction in diameter. Your other question in regards to the bend, I would find a 1" formed 90 or I think you can get the Gates coil form from 1" up...

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
Thanks Kenny - Yeah that makes sense, at least I will be able to have a 1" insert welded on to alleviate the reduction in size, someone else had a thread on here with the BOV and reduced to the stock size and still had issues with surge, as the BOV was not able to pass the pressurized air through fast enough with the reducer... But so that getting that done does not slow me down for start-up, for break-in I am just going to dump to atmosphere, but I found a perfect little chromed filter to fit on the end of the BOV, so good there till it is broke-in and ready to tune... See ya soon I hope... almost there...