BOV question?

Will a nonrecirculated bov be a cause for boost leak? I recently installed DM IC kit and I lost some boost. I was thinking that maybe it was some fitting problem but talking to some people, they say it could be the bov not being recirculated. I was just wondering if you guys think an unrecirulated bov be the reason for boost leak. My car is all stock except for the DM IC kit and aftermarket air filter.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
When you don't have the blow off valve recirculating on a stock computer the engine will go super rich on shifts. Basically the ECU is sending fuel for the air that is being purged and expecting that to go to the engine. Instead, you are sending it out to atmosphere and thus for that short period of time the mixture is rich. It will make you puff on shifts and if you let the rpm's drop (don't shift in to another gear) the computer will have a hard time trying to stabilize the initial idle and can stall. While in gear and under boost though there should not be any difference. If you are seeing signs of a boost leak check everything that you touched while installing the new blow off valve. If you're having a hard time tracking it down build yourself a little DIY boost leak tester.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
Like Radiod if you didn't have this problem prior to installing the IC kit and you were running the same bov you could probably rule that out for now and check all your clamps. Are you running T-clamps or worm clamps?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
If the BOV is functioning properly, then it should not cause a boost leak. The BOV with the driftmotion kit is a knockoff, and as such may not be of the best quality. Maybe it's leaking. Probably it's worth recirculating anyway.