bov problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie_lala

Sep 21, 2006
SoCal 90712
i just bought a hks bov the super sequential one. and in the morning my bov does not work. (doesnt blow out air) mabye after like 4 or 5 times ive boosted then it starts working. in the morning my bov does not work so it just shoots it back out the intake or it makes a rapid four of a "shush" sound. sounds bad ass but i don know if thats good at all. then the header part of my engine starts to smoke badly. but once the bov starts working there is no problem. well there is no smoke. could it be my gasket for the headers that can be causing smoke? its white smoke by the way. ohh and the engine takes a quart of oil every 500 miles if that helps any. i use to have a turbo coolant line problem but that was fixed. i painted the header, heat shields, and turbo elbow with header paint, but that was like a month ago. any ideas?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Is it the real deal or a knock off BOV? I've heard of people having problems with the BOV opening when cold, but I've never experienced that when I had one on my supra.

BTW: does the BOV have an adjusting screw on it? Then older model SSQV's did, if it does, try backing out the screw a little bit.

SupraB

Need 4 speed mods!
Jul 24, 2006
Spokane WA
I have a new SSQV and it doesn't sound the same before my engine has warmed up, it kinda makes a fluttering sound, after the engine warms up it sounds right. Thats why I try not to boost at all untill my engine is good and warmed up. My SSQV does not have a adjustment screw either. Does that sound similar to your situation?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
The newer ones don't have an adjustment screw because people where tightening the old ones too much and compromising the diaphrams. My best guess was that the screw could have been in a little too tight. You may have just gotten one that's like an old motor, you know, where you have to warm that puppy up before she starts working right.

BTW: if it's a knock off HK$ then that could explain a lot.

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
SupraB said:
I have a new SSQV and it doesn't sound the same before my engine has warmed up, it kinda makes a fluttering sound, after the engine warms up it sounds right. Thats why I try not to boost at all untill my engine is good and warmed up. My SSQV does not have a adjustment screw either. Does that sound similar to your situation?

After listening to the SSQV on a bunch of cars including mine as I freaked the first time I heard the flutter not the chirp... Its normal.

The ssv opens and closes really fast at low rpms and thats the flutter...

Play Need for speed underground 2 with a built up supra and wonder "hey mine doesnt chirp like that dammit...."

V

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
you shouldnt really be boosting if your engine is cold...your bov and engine isnt warm enought and the bov will surge

surging= bye bye turbo

xXxICExXx

Aug 6, 2006
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Its normal for it to not blow-off when it is cold. You shouldnt be boosting until atleast 2 minutes after you start driving. Next time in the morning, jump in the ol supra, start it up and take off right away, boost to the max...see how far you will get :icon_razz Very, very bad for the turbo.

Frankie_lala

Sep 21, 2006
SoCal 90712
0o0o sry guy usually on the celica supra forum it shows if someone replies or not. didnt know anyone replied. so its normal? cus there is a lot of oil in my intake. it has nothing to do with that? so 2 min? just let it sit there? okay ill try that tomorrow morning and ill get back to you guys on that, and ill check for the screw too. i dont think it has a screw tho. i have another question. on the vac line what is the black circular coin adapter on there. i seen a couple people have that i always wondered what thats for.

suprab - that is exactly what it sounds like. and from what robbo185 says its bad.

i dont think its a knock off it says HKS in clear bold letters with squares around them thats gold. i wouldnt think that would be a knock off. i bought it off a guy that bought it with the hks pipe supposedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.