bov not working right, too much compressor surge

joeyd23

GTE4ME
Sep 18, 2007
waldorf maryland
i bought an 89 supra last month and i came with a greddy type s bov the just compression surges, im new to turbos and cant figure it out, i moved the vacume lines around but cant get it right, i took it apart and moved the diaphram wich seemeend to work, anyone know the correct setup for it?

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
joeyd23 said:
i bought an 89 supra last month and i came with a greddy type s bov the just compression surges, im new to turbos and cant figure it out, i moved the vacume lines around but cant get it right, i took it apart and moved the diaphram wich seemeend to work, anyone know the correct setup for it?

the spring might be too tight, meaning it won't open... ask the other owner which spring's in there if you can.

joeyd23

GTE4ME
Sep 18, 2007
waldorf maryland
87mgte said:
the spring might be too tight, meaning it won't open... ask the other owner which spring's in there if you can.

yea thats what i thought too. it ha a large spring over another smaller softer. one and im only running 8 psi boost so i took the stiffer one out thing it would open easier which didnt help. thanks anyways

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
is the vacuum running its own port? or is it T'd off another line. i had that problem with my racing type 2 hks, i gave it its own vacuum port and it stopped the surge

hellraiser456

Dec 29, 2006
canada
make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks as well. i had an issue with compressor surge and it was cause by a vacuum leak. doesn't have to be just on the BOV line ether. mine was leaking at those vsv things i think they are called...the hose fell off.

don't those BOV's have a screw to adjust the spring pressure as well.

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
yes there should be a screw that you can adjust with a wrench and allen key. Loosen it up a bit until you dont have the surge anymore

joeyd23

GTE4ME
Sep 18, 2007
waldorf maryland
thanks guys, i cheked all the lines 2 were pretty dryroted. i ended up just playin with diffrent setups and someone at a car show recomended T-ing of the line that goes from the back of the intake mannfold to the boost gauge and that worked fine

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
joeyd23 said:
thanks guys, i cheked all the lines 2 were pretty dryroted. i ended up just playin with diffrent setups and someone at a car show recomended T-ing of the line that goes from the back of the intake mannfold to the boost gauge and that worked fine

everyone's talkin about "t-ing" off all these lines... where do i find these "t's" you speak of?

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
87mgte said:
everyone's talkin about "t-ing" off all these lines... where do i find these "t's" you speak of?
autozone or any car parts store. They are pieces of plastic in the shape of a "T" that allows you to splice a vaccuum line and use it for two difference sources