Bought jasper 7mgte what to check for

St!LL b0oStEd

May 9, 2011
san antonio
:1zhelp:So I bought this jasper motor with only 5000 miles before being pulled out of a mk3 . Just wanted to know what can I check and what do yall recommend on doing since the motor is out .Dose anybody know if jasper motors torque the head to 75ftlbs or is it set to factory specs :aigo:

image.jpg

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
No idea who Jasper is... no way of telling what was done unless you see the original bill really. You would almost have to go in and check the torque to see what it is at. I prefer an engine with 20,000 miles over one with 5000 because any problems may not have shown yet. So hard to judge past compression/leak down testing and looking at original bills if available. After many years of dealing with 7M issues, I always assume it was done wrong if the engine is already out of the car if I can't verify that it was done properly.

It's not difficult to check your torques at this point, I think.

schmuckingham

Dec 12, 2014
OHIOWN
If it is from Jasper check EVERYTHING. If it truly has lasted 5000 miles already you might have been lucky and have a good one, but from my experience ( never bought, just saw them in friends cars) with their Ford remans they shook themselves apart in under 1000 miles.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
I've installed a few Jasper reman GM engines and transmissions and have had zero issues. I'm really surprised that they even offer a 7M engine as they do very few foreign engines and every assembly I've bought from them was received coated in their "Jasper Grey" paint. Block, oil pan and all. I'd call them and give the tag number to verify that it wasn't just swapped off of a different engine and to see what kind of warranty remains. Jasper includes that sticker with the warranty paperwork and does not place it on the assembly itself. One could stick it on anything if they were so inclined.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Ok, curiosity got the best of me and I did the leg work for you. Called my Jasper rep who attempted to look up the tag number shown on your engine. It is so old that it is no longer in their system. They never offered the 7M, but that doesn't mean that they might have rebuilt one that a customer sent them back in the day. The rep said that they did use black paint on performance builds they did for customers. He seriously doubted that Jasper ever did one for a Toyota though as they usually do short blocks for Mopar and such. They never used red paint, but the previous owner may have used that ugly paint himself. How long ago did the seller claim the engine was rebuilt? At this point it aint looking too good that it's from Jasper. He may have put a shiny new paint job on an old engine that he had laying around. I've never seen Jasper leave paint marks on cam gears or timing covers either. Also, it may just be a blurry pic, but that timing belt looks hella worn for only 5k miles. I am skeptical to say the least.