Bought a year round car

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I needed a vehicle to get to and from school in the winter and to work in the summer. I feel bad piling all the miles on my Supra and I don't think it would remain reliable if I used it as a daily. So...

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Teal Green on black leather, Heads Up Display, polished 16" wheels, 12 disc CD changer, power everything and enough room for 5 people and all their stuff. For once I will have a car that can take more than one passenger comfortably.

**PICS**
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
ya it's not bad. I was impressed when I first drove it. It should run low 15's stock.

The person that I bought it from seemed very particular about his stuff and the car shows it. It has very few flaws and all of them are easy to fix. It takes a little getting used to because of its size. It's longer, wider and higher than my Supra.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Grand Am/Prix? Watch out for battery/alternator issues. I'm not the only one that has had a problem with them causing each other to fail.

On the topic of a daily-driver, I got my hands on a bone-stock 1998 Honda Civic LX. Funny, the local dealer wanted $1500 more for a '99 DX model that was obviously owned by a teenager, and had 30,000 more miles on the odo. Forget THAT!

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
My friend has a GTP (raced him a few times in my maxima) pretty quick cars (beat an s2000). Only down side is automatic :-/ but then again they say the auto is better for that engine anyway.... Grand National Anyone?

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I hope the engine is reliable and with what I have heard/read it should be decent. I am aware of the manifold issues because a friends parents had a Buick with that issue. I plan to leave it stock or possibly add an intake (blower whine is cool). I would have prefered to have a manual but that isn't possible. The GTP does have the benefit of the HD transmission.

I was out having fun today and found out that traction from a roll in first is an issue:biglaugh: I'm pleasantly suprised by how well the boat can get up and go.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Push said:

You don't know the half of it.:3d_frown: In my own driveway we have two more that were out at the moment. An older Grand Prix and my GF's sunfire. The benefit of these cars being everywhere is that they are also in the junkyards. Lots of parts when the need arises.

**EDIT** Also, this is Oshawa...the Canadian version of Detroit. This being a GM town there are 20 domestics for every import on the streets. I see two Supra's every day...one is mine, the other is my friends. My car is very rare here.

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Nice. Dad has that engine in his Bonneville. For being an even heavier car than yours, it keeps up with the Supra quite nicely. Torque steer is ridiculous in the Bonneville, though.

And yes, I <3 Blower whine!