Bought a 91 MR2 for commuting and track

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
So it's been a year since I bought a car and figure that needs to change. I sold my 91 Yota truck for $3700 and bought a POS 91 NA MR2 for $1700. $2k in the bank and better gas mileage. Woot!

Car is mostly stock, but has certainly been messed with. The body is rough. Very rough. Not many panels are straight and the paint is horrible. I might mess with replacing a few panels and try my hand at painting for the first time. Yesterday, while replacing a wheel hub, i noticed what appears to be a Suspension techniques front sway bar with poly bushings. Then engine runs relatively well, but it leaks oil. The previous owner never even registered it in his name so I'm not sure the car has seen much action in at least 6 months. Oil pan gasket might be leaking, but fortunately it appears the pan can come off in car.

p1847457_1.jpg

p1847457_2.jpg

Plans are to fix all the mechanical flaws. Already replaced a rear wheel bearing, hub and ball joint. Things that still need attention are:
-another rear lower ball joint
-parking brake doesn't work on one side, likely broken cable
-Both rear stabalizers?
-replace CC unit
-Fix A/C (likely retrofit to R-134)
-fix stereo (only one speaker works right now and I'd like a small subwoofer)

Once the major mechanics are sorted out I plan to take the car to the track a few times at least. I'd like to get some actual track time and fill the void between gran turismo and real life. There are two facilities nearby; One offers rallycross and rallysprint type courses with a super low entrance fee and few restrictions. The other is a paved ~2 mile circuit with ~$90 half day track use fees and more stringent inspections.

Basically I bought a cheap ass car to commute with and that I wont cry over if it breaks at a track (unlike the Supra).

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Haha, my times? Hopefully you've seen good things.

Yeah, I feel like I know the basics and can run a good line with good throttle and brake control, but I'm sure it'll be like starting all over on a real track slamming on the brakes at 75-100mph.

Should be a blast no matter how good I am to start!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
GT Academy times. They were pretty good, some of them left me scratching my head wondering where you came up with the extra time ahead of me haha... and you're right. Driving a car balls out is a different experience. Closest thing I can really relate to it is with the Miata, was a lot of fun seeing just how quick you could take each turn, and learn the nuances.

Ideal line and best line aren't always one in the same. ;)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
te72;1848097 said:
GT Academy times. They were pretty good, some of them left me scratching my head wondering where you came up with the extra time ahead of me haha... and you're right. Driving a car balls out is a different experience. Closest thing I can really relate to it is with the Miata, was a lot of fun seeing just how quick you could take each turn, and learn the nuances.

Ideal line and best line aren't always one in the same. ;)

What's your sn on psn?! I think I only had one other friend actually doing the gt academy this year. I have to admit, a lot of times I'll do a section 10 times, then watch the top people do it and discover I'm losing 2 seconds on a single turn I didn't realize could be taken flat out or something. Without being able to watch others find that best time line I'd be a lot worse.

*Edit, nvm. I see it on your profile. I didnt know you were BHG_LOL. cool beans.

So I bought new rear sway bar endlinks and porterfield R4-S front brake pads for the MR2. Should be installing them tomorrow night. Then Saturday is planned for a working HVAC unit install, parking brake cable replacement, battery tie-down, alternator bracket and a complete set of real lugs.

Trying to get the car ready for a track day next weekend. Got a business trip to the UK in a few weeks and I really want to run at least one track day before then.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Yep, that's me on there. I took the first two rounds quite seriously, but my patience for/interest in GT is running slim. I may hook it back up this weekend. Been doing the last 4 or 5 rounds on the controller rather than the wheel... sometimes it's faster, but not very often.

Anyway, the Porterfields are a good pad, you'll like them if you haven't already used some in the past.