bought a 7mgte and wtf

KORYTOYORTA

Certified
Apr 10, 2008
OXNARD CA
So about a year ago i bought a 7mgte swap for my NA from craigslist it came with everything harness, all manifolds, intercooler, tranny, everthing and it was all stock looked like it had just been pulled out of a car.

(I know NA swap Q's are supposed to be in the NA section but this is more about the motor i bought for it so im putting it here you can move it if you want)

When i disassembled it i found it had no oil squirters, my first thought was that it was a NA block but it has all the turbo oil lines and 2 knock sensors so i thought maybe a early jdm motor. But later i found it didnt have a r154 it had a the same tranny as my NA.

Right now the motor is rebuilt with a metal head gasket and im looking for a r154 for it, i didnt really care about the oil squirters and it has new gte pistons.

so my question is

where do you think the motor came from and do you think i will run into any problems? i just want to make sure before i continue with the project.

and i was wondering if there is any difference in power handling abilities because i just checked and it has a earlier block without the extra ribs and i didnt know there was a difference untill 2 min. ago

thanks

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
KORYTOYORTA;1475575 said:
So about a year ago i bought a 7mgte swap for my NA from craigslist it came with everything harness, all manifolds, intercooler, tranny, everthing and it was all stock looked like it had just been pulled out of a car.

(I know NA swap Q's are supposed to be in the NA section but this is more about the motor i bought for it so im putting it here you can move it if you want)

When i disassembled it i found it had no oil squirters, my first thought was that it was a NA block but it has all the turbo oil lines and 2 knock sensors so i thought maybe a early jdm motor. But later i found it didnt have a r154 it had a the same tranny as my NA.

Right now the motor is rebuilt with a metal head gasket and im looking for a r154 for it, i didnt really care about the oil squirters and it has new gte pistons.

so my question is

where do you think the motor came from and do you think i will run into any problems? i just want to make sure before i continue with the project.

and i was wondering if there is any difference in power handling abilities because i just checked and it has a earlier block without the extra ribs and i didnt know there was a difference untill 2 min. ago

thanks
Do you have pictures?
-AM3

KORYTOYORTA

Certified
Apr 10, 2008
OXNARD CA
Ill get some pics. but it looks like a regular 7mgte.

The guy said it was from a 87 has a 6m crank, he said the car was being parted out. It was a random guy on craigs list kinda scetchy but it was what it was from the out side.

Scetchy because when i talked to him on the phone it seamed like he really wanted to deliver it and didnt want me to pick it up from his house.

Yeah, i was thinking someone might have just swapped out the r154 ubt still no oil squirters so probably jdm block or something the hole thing is just weird though.

Got lucky though cause when the clutch went out on my NA i had a allmost new from it, i was shocked when it fit.

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
Early model turbo USDM/JDM 7m engines came w/o oil squirters. He might have swapped this engine into an n/a body and just used his w58 with it. It has been done before. Get a good clutch and PP and your w58 will hold up for awhile. Early model blocks have nothing wrong with them if its all built right (i.e. pistons, rods, machining, oil cooler upgraded, etc.) the engine will be fine. Many people have done the same thing that you have now. I read about people with early model blocks that are built to 450-500 rwhp with no problems.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
87nasupra;1476722 said:
Early model turbo USDM/JDM 7m engines came w/o oil squirters. He might have swapped this engine into an n/a body and just used his w58 with it. It has been done before. Get a good clutch and PP and your w58 will hold up for awhile. Early model blocks have nothing wrong with them if its all built right (i.e. pistons, rods, machining, oil cooler upgraded, etc.) the engine will be fine. Many people have done the same thing that you have now. I read about people with early model blocks that are built to 450-500 rwhp with no problems.

+1

i had a 1XXX engine number 7mgte block with a 6m crank and no oil squirters

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
redma70;1484152 said:
Early GTE's have no oil squirters???

I have an 86.5(basically 87) GTE and it has oil squirters...

what range is the engine number in? for all you know they could have popped out 50,000 engines and sold them to australia then added squirters after 50,000 and sold them to usa at the same time, a real indicator would be to match the engine number range to a car of similar age. anyway, from what i hear they don't do much anyway :p its still a gte

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
Speaking from what I can see on the forum here ....."86.5 - 88 GTE,N/A have 6m cranks, supposidly. 86.5 - early 87 gte's had no oil squirters. They added them early 87(03/87) with the 6m cranks? and added the 7m crank w/oil squirters in the 89-92 (08/88+)". Someone please correct me if i'm wrong but thats all the info I can pull from the forum. Maybe IJ can chime in on this.....am I halfway correct?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
87nasupra;1485592 said:
Speaking from what I can see on the forum here ....."86.5 - 88 GTE,N/A have 6m cranks, supposidly. 86.5 - early 87 gte's had no oil squirters. They added them early 87(03/87) with the 6m cranks? and added the 7m crank w/oil squirters in the 89-92 (08/88+)". Someone please correct me if i'm wrong but thats all the info I can pull from the forum. Maybe IJ can chime in on this.....am I halfway correct?
Never seen exact dates for each change my feeling is it depended on inventory at the time of the build.

mk3tattoos;1485775 said:
is there a big difrence between the 6m and 7m cank?
Yes I've ran both in the exact same engine 2 weeks apart with no other change than the cranks, 7M is smoother till 6000+ then there's little difference in "feel", 6M is 6Lb's lighter so it's PMoI is much lower and accelerates quicker giving snappier performance down low.

87nasupra;1486141 said:
Yeah, appearance you can tell by the extra counter balances, but weight its about 14lbs? between the two IIRC....If you balance a 6m crank it would bill be good.

Always balance all of my engines.

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
Dates I gave is by here say as far as when they "made changes" not so much by when they implimented the changes by what is in the car....( IE use the old inventory first before the new )....My 87T manufact. in 06/88, but no oil squirters and 6m crank. The jdm engine into my n/a has 7m crank....block numbers are within 1k of each other.