Boss Jr. Oil Return Line Issue

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
Toy-Rific;1368561 said:
May be one of the problems with the line is that I don't have the heat shields that go on the manifold to re check the fitment issue of the lines.

I was OK with this situation until this statement was made.

You mean to say that the company that designed this turbo kit does not have the means of obtaining the factory heat shields to verify correct fitment?

Quoted from the SupraSport website, "Uses the stock heat shields to control under hood temps!"

Explain how that conclusion was reached.

As you can clearly see in the attached pictures, the heat shield touches the top of the oil feed fitting. The water feed line can be made to fit, but is much too long and therefore protrudes upward significantly.

Granted, I work in the nuclear industry and therefore have grown extremely critical of quality issues over the years. However, I consider the fitment issue and the root cause (as perceived by me) unsatisfactory.

These issues simply do not exist with the Japanese made components. I should have bought a TD06 kit.

Attachments

• DSC_0001_small.JPG
    DSC_0001_small.JPG
    367.2 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0002_small.JPG
    DSC_0002_small.JPG
    346.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0003_small.JPG
    DSC_0003_small.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0004_small.JPG
    DSC_0004_small.JPG
    336 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0006_small.JPG
    DSC_0006_small.JPG
    354.9 KB · Views: 35

Jack

Dec 25, 2005
Stillwater, MN
You will need to read all Greg's posts to understand him...Not the best with words.
The BOSS Series turbo's use the stock heat shields, You May have to notch them. The STOCK setup feed the oil from the bottom. Some modifications may have to be made. Every time a person installs any part on this car they will do it different and with different tools. We do NOT install the heat shield when clocking every turbo, my setup uses stock shield and it does work. When Greg clocked this setup he did not go to the stock rack and bolt the shield on to check it....This is not nuclear science ...this is a part bolting on a 20yr old car. Many have installed it and it does work. If you want a better answer call Greg directly and talk to him, he is much better at explaining over the phone than typing.

Greg is the company that made the turbo, a heat shield is not the end of the world. He has produced parts for Boeing, Garrett and many more. The BOSS series is the highest quality turbo for the MK3.

Throwing a comment out like should have bought a TD06 kit doesn't make alot of sense at this point...you chose the BOSS Jr for a reason. You did make the correct choice. A heat shield that you might have to notch should not be a reason for throwing the towel in. If it meant that much call and discuss it with us. I am sure I have a couple extra shields laying around, I can notch it and send it out if need be....like we have said many times we support our products

Jack

Dec 25, 2005
Stillwater, MN
Almost forgot...The oil and coolant lines BESIDES the oil return are made a little longer by design. IF I made them the exact length off my car setup the next person will change the routing and say they are too short. My install kit works for ALL customers. If you want a shorter line just lmk I can make it shorter for you, communication is very important. We make all the lines in house so I can make shorter and longer ones just ask!

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
Understood on the line length issue. I recognize it's hard to make everyone happy in this regard (especially me!). Like you said, I probably interpreted Greg's statement incorrectly which sparked a little aggravation on my end.

The forum probably isn't the best place to discuss this anyway, but you respond quickly. Plus other folks can see this and hopefully avoid similar future issues.

Just a suggestion, but adding some words to the product description stating that heat shield modifications and a self fabricated mounting bracket for the dip stick are required would go a long way here. I certainly don't mind making/modifying parts if necessary. My frustration was more in the fact that I had already coated the heat shield assuming it was a bolt on affair. Had I anticipated the potential need for modifications, it would not have been an issue.

I'll figure out what length coolant feed line I need and that should fix that issue without notching the heat shield at all. The oil feed line just clears the heat shield with a small spacer under the stay and the fitting angled perfectly.

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
I sent you a more detailed email on this subject Jack, but just to have it documented here for future reference...

A length of 10" of hose between the ends of the crimped section on the coolant supply hose is what will work in my case (stock routing of almost everything). The one supplied is 12".

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Makes me feel good when I see people work out technical details maturely!;)

Nice dialogue, guys!

-crisp

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
Just as a follow up and complement to Jack, he got new hoses out the door to me today and I will have them by Thursday! Excellent service.

I'll post some pictures to show fitment with the new hoses once I get them.

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
turbotoy;1369437 said:
Just as a follow up and complement to Jack, he got new hoses out the door to me today and I will have them by Thursday! Excellent service.

I'd just like to add... although I purchased my BOSS housing turbo from a different source than Jack, after a brief PM exchange, his responsiveness and courtesy to my interest and comments on the product are first rate!;)

You gotta like courtesy of service these days... as it can't be bought at any price!

Kudos.;)

-crisp

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
I just wanted to post the final pictures of the lines here for future reference. With the new lines Jack supplied, I was able to get everything to fit without having to cut the heat shield at all.

Attachments

• DSC_0004_s.JPG
    DSC_0004_s.JPG
    393.2 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0029_s.JPG
    DSC_0029_s.JPG
    577.5 KB · Views: 38

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
turbotoy;1381787 said:
I just wanted to post the final pictures of the lines here for future reference. With the new lines Jack supplied, I was able to get everything to fit without having to cut the heat shield at all.

^^^ Nice resolution!

BTW, your project looks fantastic!!!:love:

...really beautiful and clean work... puts me to shame!:cry:

-crisp

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
3p141592654;1381872 said:
Could you post up the lengths for the four lines as a reference for others. Thanks, and it looks awesome.

Man, I should have done that while I still had decent access to them... However, the oil return line was about .5" shorter than what came originally, and the coolant feed line is 2" shorter.

I understand why Jack makes them longer than necessary, but the oil return line length really needs to be dead on. I'd bet the manufactures minimum recommended bend radii is being significantly violated on the oil return line, but I'm not too worried. A hard steel pipe with flanges would really be optimum, but that would also require that the center section be clocked perfectly relative to the turbine housing.

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
ma71supraturbo;1382434 said:
So what needs to be done to mount the dipstick?

I just made up a bracket that has a clearance hole for one of the compressor housing cap screws and a clearance hole for the dip stick and used a cap screw and nut to secure the dip stick tube. You can't really see it at all with the heat shield on.

I can kind of reason why such a bracket is not included in the kit. If you needed to clock the compressor housing slightly differently, the bracket would be useless. That said, one could easily be made up for the OEM position and it would likely work for the majority of the folks out there.

The other option would be to weld a tab onto the wastegate actuator bracket.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
turbotoy;1382523 said:
I just made up a bracket that has a clearance hole for one of the compressor housing cap screws and a clearance hole for the dip stick and used a cap screw and nut to secure the dip stick tube. You can't really see it at all with the heat shield on.

I'm not visualizing very well today -- could you take a picture if you get a chance?