BosoMKII's project! 56k cut your head off

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
What a day. I spent most of it squatting in the engine bay scrubbing, sanding, washing, and elbow greasing. Then I taped and painted. At the last minute I decided that I would never be able to match the color, and went with gloss black. Black has a way of hiding your mistakes, but gloss black does the opposite. Oh well. It looks pretty good I think.

In another day or so I will be fitting the oil pan and working out the oil pickup. Getting interesting soon!

p246440_1.jpg

p246440_2.jpg

p246440_3.jpg

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Looking good! I like the way gloss colors always look good in pictures, despite your comments about it exaggerating the flaws! Only you know differently. ;)

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Thanks man! This car won't be winning any car shows, but it will look pretty good. Besides, once the engine and everything is back in, not many people will be looking for the tiny bubbles and the moth that got stuck to the second coat.
Tomorrow I will be test fitting the 2M oil pan on the 7M!

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Looking very good Boso!
LOL @ the moth. I know a guy who painted a car in his backyard. Cutlass I believe, but as they were passing the final coat of clear over, it had gotten dark. They cleared the trunk blind and went in for the night. Turns out they cleared over the moth.
Repaint the trunk? Hell no. Name the moth.
lol I forget the name tho... :D

He said the paintjob was incredibly nice. Always getting comments on it and asking where it got painted. He said it was hilarious seeing people's reactions when he'd reply "Where did it get painted? In my back yard. With a Wagner Power Painter."

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
NashMan said:
wow i am shocked

Seriously!

bandwagonpilot said:
Haha! That's awesome. The build looks great so far, can't wait to see the finished project. Future NA-T?

No, I decided no turbo. Maybe No2 if I get bored. Mostly this is supposed to be my daily driver. So overall, nothing too crazy. Just a badass street car with 4 doors and a big I-6!

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
supra90turbo said:
Turns out they cleared over the moth.
Repaint the trunk? Hell no. Name the moth.
lol I forget the name tho... :D

HAhah hella funny! Thanks for the compliments guys more to come this week

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
At last I had some time to get back to the project. I took the 7M oil pan off, and well......I will let the pictures do the talking.

p249321_1.jpg

p249321_2.jpg

Wow, so close. I didn't realize that the 2M pan is actually mid-sump like the Supra. I guess I just wasn't paying attention. So yes the 2M pan lines up correctly but its not deep enough for the pickup by about 10-15MM. ( Rough conversion in my head from 1/2 inch. The Imperial measurement standard has got to be the most retarded thing ever making U.S.A the most backwater country on the planet. But its what I know so I use it:barf: )

Also, the 2M pan has a baffle that went around the pickup that is interfering with the oil tube that crosses the crankcase. At the back of the pan you can see two indentations for clearing the rod-ends and crank. I don't think they are deep enough for the 7M crank.
You can see the profile of the 7M pan is deeper everywhere. As of right now before an engine test fit it is the oil pan of choice. I will have to lower the engine in to determine if the 7M pan will clear. Unfortunately, not thinking ahead I didn't look to see how close the 2M pan came to the cross-member and steering arm, but I am thinking it was pretty close.

In the event that the 7M pan does not clear, I have a few options. I would like your guys input as to which one sounds the best.

1. "Modify" the 7M pan with a hammer until it fits.

2. Use the 2M pan and cut away some of the baffle, hammer the bottom of the sump a little bit deeper for the pickup, or take the pickup off and have it cut shorter and re-welded.

So let me know what you guys think, and if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Here you can see the 2M motor mounts are different than the 7M, but where the bolt to the engine are identical. So those are on with brand new motor mounts that came with the Corona when I bought it! At least that part is going to be easy.

p249321_3.jpg

Test fitting the engine tomorrow morning!

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Thanks man! I am hoping people are enjoying this thread a bit. Its a cool project for me, and I like to share with other car enthusiasts.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
This thread rox my sox! When Its done I will dive to oakland just to see her start! Im not kidding! Ive stated it numerous times and I wanna see it!

Oh BTW I LOLed so hard at that Avatar Boso!

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
YUUUUMMMM UUUUMMM Bunny Mafia steals your cookies LOL IJ

Yeah mang I will let you know when I am going to attempt to start the engine. Don't worry if you can't make it, I will post the video!

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Boso, I'm thinking your best bet is the 7M pan but as you've already stated, it may not clear. If that's the case, try fitting the 2M pan without an oil pump and see if it clears the crank counterweights. If it does, shortening the oil pickup is probably the go. If it doesn't clear the counterweights, modifying the 7M pan will probably be your next option. You just have to make sure the crank counterweights aren't going to interfere with the crossmember... If that ends up being the case, time to raise the engine a bit higher than stock and start playing around with non-stock transmission hight as well! That doesn't sound like much fun. Let's hope for one of the first few options!

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Mechanical fuel pump FTW! HAHA, now you know why the j-pipe is part of a block-off plate that is the same size as Chevy and Ford blocks! They were originally going to put a mechanical fuel pump on the 7M! :biglaugh: AND the oil return fitting hole on the 7M block that goes to the head was originally for a distributor! :aigo:

Seriously, the 7M was never intended to be turbo when it was designed, they just took what they had and made it work. The J series was totally redesigned to fix all the issues that arose during the M series production. Don't take that as anything bad against the 7m either, it just shows how well Toyota designs engines that can make 2-3 times the origional power output or more and last for a 20yr production run with minor modifications!
p249537_1.jpg

Last edited: