Bosch BOV Gone Bad?

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Symptoms: Now that I've found and repaired a leak in that small, hard to reach air line under the intake mani that eventually leads back to the small line on the top of the BOV, the engine starts and idles great, and accelerates normally up to maybe 5 psi. Above 5 lbs, all power and acceleration drops off and I can hear a loud whooshing sound from under the hood.

My Thinking: Is that if there's a boost leak only above a certain point, then a good starting point is my BOV (Bosch 0-280-142-110). Maybe it was damaged when the other leak suddenly appeared? It seems pretty coincidental, since both symptoms started within a day of each other...

Setup: I ran the BOV on basic performance mods for over 20k miles, and never boosted more than 12 lbs running a CT26-57 and manual boost controller. For the past 1,000 miles I've been running a bigger turbo and IC with an HKS wastegate and 12 lb spring and no other boost control. I never noticed boost go over 12 lbs at any time.

So I went ahead and pulled the BOV and tried blowing air through it by mouth from the pressure side, but it held. Then I went ahead and pressurized it with my air compressor regulator set for about 10 psi, and it just bled air though. I thought the Bosch 110 was good for something like 20 +/- psi, and it only seems to be holding between what my lungs can do and something less than 10 lbs, so it seems to me I found the problem. Sound right, or am I off base?

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
A mechanic at the shop I bought the bypass valve from told me that if it failed, the diaphram would be shot and I would be able to blow air through with my breath.

Any ideas on why I can't hold more than 5-ish psi, with no problems at all below that?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Tried testing it by applying pressure to both the vac port on top and the pressure side? Just a though since that's how it would normally function...

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Yes, that's a good point. The diaphragm should have equal pressure on both sides. Also, there are different Bosch BOVs. What is the part number written on it. Should be something like 0280142110 or 0280142114. The one ending in 103 holds less boost.