Bosch 044 (external) fed by 255?

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
With my new fuel setup I'm going to be running 680cc injectors and a 1:1 boost referenced afpr (Made by holley, if that matters) and am trying to make a decision on a pump.

A friend gave me a new q45 fuel pump (same he uses on his 30ish psi 60-1 1jz) that I was considering using in the tank, with an external Bosch 044 (or is it the 040 that's external? I don't remember) being fed by it.

I'm running a gt4088 and probably won't push it past wastegate (14ish lb spring) since it's stock internals and whatnot.

Any thoughts?

Also, one of my friends expressed concern that the diaphram on the afpr might rupture because of the amount of pressure. Given that the regulator I have (here's a link ) says that it's for vehicles running in pro street and outlaw classes, I highly doubt that, but thought I'd mention it.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
I'm running an 044 externally off of a surge tank fed by the stock fuel pump. Works really well. A tank would be a good idea, I'm not sure that your in-tank pump could keep up with an 044. Might work ok though, I think I remember someone on here doing something similar.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think BIC was thinking about doing an inline pump setup, similar to what you're thinking. I'm not sure if he did it or not.

My concern is the same as Dok said, resulting in failure to the 255.

I have an almost identical fuel setup as Dok. I'd recommend doing what we did. I've done numerous long highway pulls and never empied the surge tank. I'm running almost 700whp through a single 044, with a dual feed on the stock 2JZGE fuel rail.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
A surge tank wouldn't be a bad idea. Where do all the connections go, though? The one's I found on ebay had two or three ports on top and two on the bottom...I'm assuming that the ones on the bottom are from the tank and to the rail, and one of the ones on the top is for the return to the tank, but where do the other two go?

Seems stupid, but I can't figure it out.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
i dont know much about the q45 pump.

i have seen several 044 setups with a surge tank. this design works pretty well.

fuelsys.gif

here is a surge tank made from 3" exhaust tubing

tank12.jpg

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
hottscennessey;1177184 said:
My concern is the same as Dok said, resulting in failure to the 255.

remember though, the intake pump doesn't have any pressure to it, so will flow to its full potential. Given its a decent pump (at least a walbro 255) it should be plenty of flow for the bosch 044 @ 50+psi.

Does anyone know the regulations (NHRA or others) for the surge tank? Thats my only hesitation to use this setup on my celica.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
how big does this surge tank need to be?

would 1qt be sufficient, or is there a need for something bigger?

I have some 4" left over from when I did my exhaust that I'm thinking about making one with...

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Sure, go w/ 4". I'm actually in the process of developing a high horsepower fuel system that you guys could just buy and bolt in for the MKIII. Using Aeromotive pumps and filters and a custom surge tank. AN fittings included.
The diameter of the tank we're making is 4" as well. If you're not pushin past 14psi with your gt40 you should be fine with the 255 in tank. That would be a different story if you were going with really high boost, something crazy that could drain the surge tank faster than the 255 could pump. But even if it did so the Walbro wouldnt fail, you would lean out. So to sum it up, tank good & Walbro will be OK

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
I know I'm not going for any crazy numbers, but I like the peace of mind in knowing that the fuel system will be a-okay if I do decide to go bigger.

How much capacity are the one's your engineering going to be, just so I can get in the ballpark?

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
We were planning on making a 2L tank, mounting brackets for the whole system would keep the external pump, pump controller, filter, & tank all localized and secure in the trunk.