Borg Warner Turbo's

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
Any one her used one of these yet?. These look to be very promising heavy duty turbo's. Full race swears by these turbo's and tested one of the BW 61mm turbo's against a Garret GT35R and it out spooled it and made more TQ at the same boost, not bad for a large shaft journal bearing turbo!! The S300 comes in a great range of T4 turbos running from a 60mm up to a 66mm inducer. Best of all they are cheap, and cheap to rebuild, they commonly go for the about the same or less than the equivalent Garrett turbo.

Bulls Eye also makes custom versions of the BW turbo's, they do some more mixing and matching of wheels.

So if anyone here has hands on experience with these post up your results, ie; turbo size, power levels, spool up charactoristics etc.

I will start, a good friend of mine has a 1jz in his 90 Toyota P/U, he recently installed a BW 66mm S300 and made 545 whp at 22 psi and IIRC about 390 at 15 psi. I hope to take the truck for a drive soon and see how it compares to my T61. The twin scroll housings seem to work best on these turbo's.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
These are very healthy turbochargers indeed. They were bred from diesel applications, and a market that was starting to be consumed by Garrett and Holset.

Schwitzer, KKK, and Turbo Loader are all Borg Warner / Airwerks turbochargers.

They have a lot of shared ("stolen") technology from Garrett and Holset. But, when you've been in the business for as long as these guys, and bought out as many companies as these guys have, you tend to pull out all the "secrets" when trying to sell to a performance market.

Here is the current catalog:

http://www.airwerksboosted.com/Files/BW-AirWerks-Performance-Catalog-2010.pdf

Most common turbo right now is the S300 in various forms and the S400 in various forms.

kcheng

mkii 7mgte
Nov 22, 2005
bby, bc
Heres a buddy of mine who has the 83-75. The same turbo I will be using..

Just dynoed my car..

- In Ground Mustang Dyno..

Setup is. .
-2JZGE (NA) bottom end STOCK
-1JZGTE head STOCK
-Borg Warner S360 turbo .91A/R
-Twin TurboSmart 38mm WG's
-Ebay divided T4 mani modified for FULL divided actionez.
-Stock JZX90 MT ecu
-Apexi S-AFC
-440cc JDM 2JZGTE inj.
-JDM 2JZGTE MAP sensor. .
-Super Cool SERIALNINE everything (cooling system/breather system etc etc.. )

-11lbs of boost. . Stock Fuel cut @ 13ish lbs(took out my FCD cuz it was ancient and suspicious. . . kept crapping out and shit. . )

-367lb/ft of torque, 347 hp

-This is the killer. . over 300lb/ft or torque from 3000-5500RPM. . Peaking @ 4300RPM. . Gyeah..
-Any higher and the boost ramps up too quick to catch it before slight boost cut. .
-Ordered Greddy BCC and will retune for 18lbs and up upon arrival..
-Boost is quick. . . makes 10PSI by 3000RPM < edit read the graph wrong DUH!
-It is faster and Quicker in EVERY WAY over the 1J. .
-Cant wait to drive it on the track. . it makes nice smoke trails. . :D

Will scan graph later..

G.

Got those graphs.

Couple of things..
-It only goes to 6200rpm cuz it obviously wasnt making any more power after that . .
-The dip got tuned out later and the accompanying dip in the torque went away as well.

This is Raw and unsmoothed. . (peak numbers on this one )
p1547058_1.jpg

This is smoothed out
p1547058_2.jpg

This one is boost vs power/torque. . You can see how quick this turbo spools up and the amount of torque I have at a lowly 3000RPM all the way up to around 5700 rpm. .. .
p1547058_3.jpg

This one is boost vs power/rpm. . Makes 10lbs by 3300RPM and full boost by 4000RPM
p1547058_4.jpg

Future plans for the motor obviously are a Greddy BCC so I can boost it a bit higher. . Prolly somewhere around 19lbs or so. . I think Cams are also in the future. . I like the torque now. . It'd be nice to extend the torqueband further. . Im thinking HP will climb easily with boost. . But so far all the theories I had building this thing worked out . . and My goals have ALMOST been realized at only 11lbs of boost. . . . There really is NO replacement for Displacement. . :D

Anyways.. Today was fuckin Awesome. . Did some pulls on the dyno yesterday. .I was ACTUALLY working so the guys in the shop were doin it for me. ... bumped up the boost some. . ran out of time. . tuning the fucking E-boost (god damn electronic boost controllers are complicated) But made some good numbers. . 403HP/449tq @ an average of like 17ish lbs I guess.. it peaked to 19.25. . prolly where the 449 is. . anyways.. Here r some pics of sai'd numbers and a few pics form the other night when Eric and I bombed around DT. .

Will post smooth graph later. . Mustang graph looks like epilepsy scribble. .
p1547058_5.jpg

At this power level its REally fun to drive. . no need to clutch kick. . . 3rd goin straight just press right pedal all the way down over 3300 rpm and lay two patches. . . The new ECU with 8000 RPM redline is amazing. . the car sounds retarded up high. . Need to play with the boost controller a little to fine tune the boost and power delivery. . street tuning is the way to go . .. AFTER tuning on the dyno.. tonight when it was real cold outside car was overboosting. . hitting the boost limiter in the controller. . and im not yet profficient @ said E-boost to fix on the go. . so in some of the vids.. 4th was crapping out. . (GAY) but yes . . .. Its quite enjoyable. . I was pretty much doin this ALL day. . :D . :D . :D . :D . :D . :D . :D . :D . :D

Last edited:

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
not sure on this supra but the bullseye series are the tits on our cobalts. on our 2 liter cobalts, the the s252et (make sure if you get one you get the et version) they spool up at 3500rpm and put down 455whp on fuel. the 256et spools up at 3700-3800 and puts down 530whp on fuel (these are on completely stock internals)

those are some killer spool times for that much power on a little 4 banger

dyno for the s252et on pump gas (couldn't find the 450whp on fuel)

lnfs252dyno425.bmp

dyno for the s256et

zzplnf510.bmp

two thumbs up on these parts

kcheng

mkii 7mgte
Nov 22, 2005
bby, bc
fyi bullseye are not borg warner turbos. bullseye takes borg warner parts and frankensteins them together in the past. bullseye is no longer a distributor of borg warners anyways...

Sinistr

Has Been
Jan 8, 2007
ABQ, NM
I would sure like to try one of the BW S300 83-75 on my 90T. C'mon, someone get one of these and test it out. So people like me (broke) can start dreaming of getting one of our own.

kcheng

mkii 7mgte
Nov 22, 2005
bby, bc
Sinistr;1548886 said:
I would sure like to try one of the BW S300 83-75 on my 90T. C'mon, someone get one of these and test it out. So people like me (broke) can start dreaming of getting one of our own.

my buddy already test one out as i posted above. full divided exh manifold with twin wastegates. 200ft/lbs of torque before 3000rpm and over 400rwhp@17psi

Sinistr

Has Been
Jan 8, 2007
ABQ, NM
KCheng: Can you give some specs on his car? Stock block, EMS, injectors, cams, etc? Thanks. Those are some great numbers by the way. I like the way this turbo is performing so far.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Borg Warner turbo:

bling1.jpg

bling2.jpg

dragcar4.jpg

dragcar5.jpg

TX2K5 Unlimited Street Winner (8.20 @ 173MPH)
First IRS (independent rear suspension) supra to pull the front tires off the ground.
2005 NDRA world record breaking 8.33 @ 168MPH run.
2007 NDRA Pro Street Tire 2nd place points champion.
Second quickest IRS Supra in the world.
Well over 1,400 RWHP

Back in 04, while we were still at 1339 RWHP, Modified mag had a hard time putting our dyno sheet on the page because it was the highest power car they ever dealt with:

From the August said:
At 1,339 hp, the AAP Supra is the most powerful car for which we've ever built a dyno chart. At that power level using our usual scale, the dyno chart would need to be about three times our page height (10.75 inches), making it rather self-defeating. Plus, it would be a uselessly vertical line that doesn't allow for any comparison.

http://www.modified.com/editors/slipangle/0508_sccp_horsepower_performance_dyno_chart/index.html

And here's the main article. (The funny thing about the article below is Chris was "ghost interviewed" - i.e. - he was too busy so they interviewed me and just wrote it as if they were talking to him...):

http://www.modified.com/features/0508_sccp_aap_motorsports_toyota_supra_turbo/index.html

The article above was early in the cars development. By the end of the 2007 season we were running 45 psi of boost and 3 stages of nitrous and putting down well over 1,400 at the wheels.

And the story about driving the car on public roads seven miles back to the shop. With no alternator. On drag radials. With the chute still attached. In traffic. -- I was sitting on the floor in the passenger side. :D (no seat over there)

I love my Borg Warner turbos... :)

kcheng

mkii 7mgte
Nov 22, 2005
bby, bc
Sinistr;1551058 said:
KCheng: Can you give some specs on his car? Stock block, EMS, injectors, cams, etc? Thanks. Those are some great numbers by the way. I like the way this turbo is performing so far.

its posted above already

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Geoff from Supraforums sent this pm to me when I was asking which turbo would be good for me:

hi Jay - thanks for the PM. it sounds like you have a solid setup, and the engine is definitely capable of making 700whp. My recommendation for a setup like yours to make 650 on pumpgas/meth and 700+ when turned up is the S300SX 88-75 1.00 a/r. This is actually the same turbo i run on my personal car for the same goal - only difference is i run E85 and made 751whp with it. Spoolup is excellent and i feel its the fastest spooling & most responsive turbo for its size and airflow.

i hope this helps, feel free to email me at geoff@full-race.com or PM me back with any other questions

-geoff

I was looking at the billet 6765 or the 6265 and then these turbo's were mentioned. I would love to have a dyno graph from all three of them to compare. I've never figured out how to read the compressor maps.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
If someone can find a compressor map or two I can use my excel sheet i created to help me map them out for the 7mgte and 2jzge. Unless I find a workable graph first.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
This is for the S300S 67 trim Exducer for 16 psi on a 3-6,000 rpm run. Granted there are more factors I could throw in like air density, but I chose to keep it to three simple equations.

maps300s..jpg

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Blah re-post.

Please let me know if my math is incorrect so I can correct myself.

Low down it looks like it would be close to the surge limit, but it would be in the peak efficiency range all through the rpm's that matter. And if you turn that boost up to 20 psi, you just shift the horizontal line up to 2.36 and see where it stands. Still in a very nice efficiency range.

1jzgtemkIII

Nov 29, 2011
milwaukee WI
I really need to know what my turbo actually is. The guy. I got it from said he thinks its a s361. I ran the numbers on the plate and cold side and couldn't find anything whatsoever. It says CAT on the compressor so when to there web site and still nothing. Went to borg warner and got the run around on there site and learned nothing! I took it apart and it is 59mm ind. 88mm exd on the cold side. And has a 8mm shaft. It also says C then it has a little triangle then 050AK on the compressor the ID plate reads P/N 0R-6684. It don't actually say borg warner anywhere just CAT. Does anyone have a clue what this one is?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
just wanted to say that I finally picked up a S300SX/8375.. I was really on the fence between that and the S362 FMW, but I decided that for the extra cost I didn't need the S362 for my power/response goals.