Boosting to 6psi

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Just installed my Boost and A/F gauges today and I though I would go out and see where everything is at.

At full throttle, Im only getting between 51/2 to 6psi of boost
My A/F Gauge is reading just into the Rich line (1 or 2 Marks)

Is all this correct for a stock turbo and stock piping or do I have a Boost leak somewhere. Also that A/F Ratio?

If its not correct, What do I need to correct it. No boost controller as of yet but would like to run about 10psi

Thanks
Robert

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
Sounds maybe a fraction low (talking like 1 or 1.5 psi) if its a manual. bout right for an auto ( i think). Thats if its completely stock.

Edit: Damn grimjack beat me by a min

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Its a Manual transmission. Im not for sure where these things are suppose to boost at stock. I know that my Piping is pretty old at this Point and before I felt alot more pull in the turbo before everything released.

Im looking for the Upper Part of the IC piping. I have right now a Different Intercooler that Im going to install 24x12x4" with 3" inlet and outlet. I have the bottom IC piping already made but I cant find anyone with the upper IC piping. Can someone Point me into the right Direction. I only need the piping before the Snorkel hole. Nothing after that.

Robert

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Ok, So since Im in the 5.5 to 6psi Range, What do I need to do to get to the 10 to 12psi Range. I dont know much about boost controllers and all so If that is what I need to get, What is a Decent one?

Robert

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
yup,easiest way to get more psi.you can buy the washers in a kit sold by one of the members mere,or just get 10 flat washers,divde then into 5 per side,super glue them together,(trust me on this)and install them with new bolts.you may want o add more washers depending on where that many washers will put you at as far as psi. Did you mention that you have a stoich meter?(air/fuel) You know thats just eye candy,right?

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
So let me get this straight. The washers serve the purpose to Tighten the opening on the back of the turbo so it doesnt open too soon or it opens at Higher boost. Am I reading this correctly. If so, What are the Advantages of doing this and Is it safe. I just have to know before I do something like this. Granted I have another 7MGTE engine just sitting in the Storage Building but this one only has about 2500 miles on it and I dont want to blow anything already.

The A/F gause is ok. Its Kinda strange at nights though, During the day, Im getting a reading right between the Stroich and the Rich line. or a Little in the rich area. Once It gets dark and I turn the lights on, It bounces from Lean to Stroich back and forth. Only time it reads back rich is when Im on the gas a little but not instant like it does when the lights are off.

Robert

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
dont shim the wastegate. buy a downpipe first. at least clear out the exhaust, then worry about upping the boost.

there are plenty of downpipe options :):cough::bic..)
and plenty of exhaust options. (that one's up to you)
clear out the restriction behind the turbo and you'll see more boost. and it'll be more friendly to boost than just shimming the wastegate with all the stock exhaust restricting flow.

besides, with an intake and exhaust, my car was maxing out the stock gauge. no boost controller

xride63

May 24, 2005
cherry hill
you can't go by the stock gauge at all. they are all off by a good amount and every car run different boost with a stock set up. but if you do the basics.. filter and exhaust (or atleast a down pipe) you will notice more boost and it will creap up a bit because its not limited to or restricted by the flow of the stock equiptment. evyerones got it about right get a downpipe first and then worry about mroe boost. it will creep up from that and don't worry about running much yet. you would want to get new fasteners and retorque your head to about 70 pounds and upgrade your fuel system. new injectors and walbro pump. i wouldn't run any more then 9 pounds on a stock setup. ive ehrd of people getting away with 10.5 to 11 pounds before hitting fuel cut but that doesn't mean it is a good idea. if you decide to run more thent hat id definately invest in a logger too and think about a reflash or piggy back or standalone so you can get it tuned properly and set fuelcurves etc..

good luck with that im trying to get mine to go i just need to get it right first. ic and tranny :(

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
I already have a Full 3" Exhaust on the car to Include the Downpipe. I tried shimming the wastegate Yesterday, 2 small washers, Boost went from 5psi which was what I was at at full boost to almost 9psi. Strange what 2 small washers will do. I also bought a Blitz Dual-SBC Spec S Boost Controller But I need Instructions on how to Install it.

Thanks
Robert

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
how about the stock outlet elbow, are you still running that? if you already have exhaust upgrades you should be running more boost naturally as the natural boost curve is partly limited by exhaust restriction. also look into a hard pipe kit. with the exhaust opened up and a hard pipe kit you should be getting in somewhere around 8 to 10 psi with the waste gate in stock form.

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
My Exhaust Outlet is all Part of the Downpipe. Mine Replaces Everything. Im trying to find a Hardpipe Kit but Im in no luck as of Yet. And Im not for sure how much they cost if I can find one.

Any Ideas.

Robert