Boosting my GE

TLDriver

Jul 29, 2008
Ventura, California
Well I been doing all the research on the car and getting my car ready for boost. Little run down on what I have done and plan on doing.

R154 swap with a clutch kit to support around 700lbs of tq (in the process)

On order: Water pump, thermostat, hoses, belts, light weight pulleys, cam pulleys, all the belts including timing, 1.3mm HG full kit, tensioners, aluminum radiator, IC piping of 3", IC 3.5" or 4" core and some other stuff.

I am thinking of sending my head to get redone when I am going to install all of this. I know it's not needed but I would hate to open her up again because I neglected to take a look at it now that I have the chance. I am going to be using a MAP ECU2 piggy back for my ecu controls.

What turbo will get me to my goal of 500-600hp? I would like to be closer to the 600hp, but it's not a have to. Any suggestions? or suggestions on what to look for? T.I.A.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Wow!

It sounds like you aren't particularly ready for a 600HP build. Not trying to flame you, but guessing at what size head gasket to use, if needed at all, isn't quite displaying the readiness for your plans.

TLDriver

Jul 29, 2008
Ventura, California
ForcedTorque;1213246 said:
Wow!

It sounds like you aren't particularly ready for a 600HP build. Not trying to flame you, but guessing at what size head gasket to use, if needed at all, isn't quite displaying the readiness for your plans.
Correct with that HG I am going to be going for about 400-450 hp max while I still drive it on the road. Once I upgrade my brakes, suspension, and rear end to handle the rest of the power I will also swap out the HG to a 2mm maybe 2.5mm
BorHor;1213247 said:
For higher horsepower that you are looking for I would look in to AEM EMS over MAP ECU.
I did look into a EMS and I was refrence back to the mapecu2. I know the EMS will be able to control more then the MAPECU2 but with my max hp goals I wont "need" the extra controls. I would like the extra features but I ask myself will I ever use them and I still don't really know if I ever will be up there in that hp range.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
You should do a little more research on head gasket thickness. Thickness has nothing to do with the power you are shooting for. It is about keeping your compression where you need it. You calculate your thickness according to how much material was removed from the head and block added to the thickness of the stock gasket.

The "if" part of my comment, had to do with you saying if it needed to be done at all. For 600hp, it definitely needs a MHG, so it will need to be done, and to specific RA values. At the 400hp level, you could get away with a good stock gasket, but I wouldn't count on reliability. You sound like you already plan on a MHG somewhere along the way.

From what I have read, a piggyback system at the 600hp is not a good idea. That is pushing close to 3 times the HP that the stock ECU was designed for.

600 is a lofty goal, and I wish you luck getting there. Have you settled on a turbo to get you there?

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
I agree with forcedtorque. Piggyback = not a very good idea.

Granted, the learning curve with EMS is HUGE and the cost is much more significant, but I usually find it to be a good idea to over-engineer everything. Just because it's worked in the past doesn't mean it's a good idea.

...annnnnnnd +1 on MHG as well. The stock headgasket (or any stock material one) isn't going to last very long with your horsepower goals.

I didn't see a mention of fuel system at all in your setup. Specifically, injectors, boost referenced afpr, and fuel pump(s).

Any thoughts in those areas?

TLDriver

Jul 29, 2008
Ventura, California
I did run the idea of going with a 1jz or 1.5jz but I have always came back on the NA-T route because I have an extra 2jz-ge block and had access to some parts for it. I am going to be redoing the internals on my spare block from a gte. Fuel I will run a mk4 fuel pump, high flow ge fuel rail and 720cc injectors. With a 2mm hg I should be running a cpr of 8.5:1 ish (I will figure it out exact when the time arrives) The closer to do the project the more and more I am reading on turbos and also the MAPECU2 vs EMS. I still have my thoughts out in the air with the turbo and also with electronics.

SuicideSuprA70

Suicide By Metal
Nov 4, 2007
Indianapolis
To comment on the turbo, i like my MP-T70

Being the car that i own now its making over that power and at the turbos peak and holding GREAT!

Obvious note but make sure you have a good tune and the T70 is great!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
AwAis1JZ;1215201 said:
I'd say u should just go with a 1JZ-GTE setup and work ur way from there!

I hate comments like this, especially with no explanation as to why. You can see he needs to do more research, and yet you jump in telling him to swap to a motor that you can only get parts from Japan... That makes perfect sense... :nono:

I'd rather have a boosted 2j than 1j. There is no replacement for displacement.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
shaeff;1234703 said:
I hate comments like this, especially with no explanation as to why. You can see he needs to do more research, and yet you jump in telling him to swap to a motor that you can only get parts from Japan... That makes perfect sense... :nono:

I'd rather have a boosted 2j than 1j. There is no replacement for displacement.

I agree. That post was a bit out of left field. I never understood why someone would swap in a smaller motor, anyway.

SuicideSuprA70

Suicide By Metal
Nov 4, 2007
Indianapolis
alloyguitar;1234865 said:
I agree. That post was a bit out of left field. I never understood why someone would swap in a smaller motor, anyway.

Although the displacement is lost, you do gain higher rev capability. My personal preference would be why not add BOTH?

1.5jz! High revs WITH 3L. :icon_evil Pretty nice combination.

I do love my 2j though.:naughty:

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
SuicideSuprA70;1235440 said:
I still love the 1jz though, better head design agreed?

Yep. The whole sourcing-jdm-parts thing always sucks, though. A damn bolt takes you 3 weeks or more to get ahold of, not to mention that you have to take out a second mortgage on your house to pay for it.

...but yes, a better design in my book.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
SuicideSuprA70;1235440 said:
I still love the 1jz though, better head design agreed?

no....

Someone posted actual flow bench figures on SF awhile back and it doesn't support your argument other than velocity is up on the 1J ports so it "may" be a slightly better responding engine at lower rpm.

SuicideSuprA70

Suicide By Metal
Nov 4, 2007
Indianapolis
IJ.;1235512 said:
no....

Someone posted actual flow bench figures on SF awhile back and it doesn't support your argument other than velocity is up on the 1J ports so it "may" be a slightly better responding engine at lower rpm.

I stand corrected. Failure :cry: Well, my apology's, my sources were incorrect.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
No probs it's just one of those Supra Myths that pops up now and again and probably goes back to someone did the 1.5Jz thing and gained some throttle/engine response and thought it was "better" ;)