Boosting my 02 Maxima, current Progress

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
Well....

Simply I am looking for help... I am currently building a turbokit for my Maxima... it is not going to be the best kit ever, but well something is better then nothing...

Looking under the car today... we decided the easiest route will be to pull a 180 degree bend from my y-pipe back up the rear of my transmission and having the turbo there. The having the downpipe run from the front of my transmission back into the flex pipe of my y-pipe...

I am looking for some help from people who are turbo experts...

we have

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...coslett@gmail.com&t=1190653026016585560&guest

We are currently trying to decide which turbo will be best for the car..

we have all the planning out, how it will work ect... our biggest problem is going to be selecting the right turbo...

If you have any help, or any helpful words please post...

here are some Mock-up pictures we have worked on so far...

http://blaisebox.ath.cx/MaximaProject/hoodps.jpg

http://blaisebox.ath.cx/MaximaProject/engine.jpg

if you wish for every picture we have...

http://blaisebox.ath.cx/MaximaProject/

any help would be great... if you have a negative comment or a... "I don't think it will work", we have heard enough negative comments about the project, please post else where.

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
Not to be an asshole..

but aside from the 3.5L internal parts...

it is a completely different motor... and if you have seen many turboed 5.5 Gens.. (3.5L same as 350z) Maxima's... then you are like in Maxima heaven... because we don't even have a kit on the way... let alone a developed kit...

to use the TT kit for the 350z... we would basically be able to use the IC itself... and the 2 turbos, that is it.. everything else would have to be hand made... FWD vs RWD and complete diff block...

not trying to sound like an asshole, but this isn't like swapping stuff back and forth like the supras :-/

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
I am familiar with the Maxima. Is it a manual? My advice is route the rear to the front and have the turbo on the side where the battery use to be. Route the battery to the trunk. Do a single turbo setup. Also the engine bay and right behind the front bumper is tight in space so its a pain to get an inter cooler in there.

pmohr

Maxima.org traitor
Jun 20, 2007
Pasadena, MD
Datsrboi said:
I am familiar with the Maxima. Is it a manual? My advice is route the rear to the front and have the turbo on the side where the battery use to be. Route the battery to the trunk. Do a single turbo setup. Also the engine bay and right behind the front bumper is tight in space so its a pain to get an inter cooler in there.

6MT. Going TMIC, with measurements pretty much all worked out already, so intercooler isn't going to be an issue.For simplicity's sake, we're probably going to hack up the existing y-pipe to route up in front of the trans. Forward y-pipe design is too much fabrication and headache for now. We definitely plan on single turbo, twin would just be a bitch with the space we have available.

Anyone have any ideas of an okay turbo to use here? Any flange style, doesn't really matter as we'll have to weld up a flange regardless of which we choose.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
what are the power goals, and what can the tranny handle?
if your power goals are low, i would say something along the lines of a t57-t61. BTW what are you going to run for engine management, i want to boost my 02 altima.

pmohr

Maxima.org traitor
Jun 20, 2007
Pasadena, MD
foreverpsycotic said:
what are the power goals, and what can the tranny handle?
if your power goals are low, i would say something along the lines of a t57-t61. BTW what are you going to run for engine management, i want to boost my 02 altima.

Power goals, he's making maybe 280ish, 290ish at the crank, right now we're just plain looking for boost to see if this project is viable. Intermediate goal, maybe 300whp. Trans is good beyond that a bit, I've been looking around but can't seem to find the torque input capacity of the RS6F51H (6MT HLSD in his '02 Max).

As far as an EMS, we're thinking EU in the long term, possibly just a VAFC-II to start off with in the initial testing.

EDIT: According to what I've been looking through, and after reading Maximum Boost, when I look at the compressor maps the 20G looks too big for the motor (thinking 6psi, ~1.8PR), and the 16G about right, though all I've seen on the org is people hating on them. Am I just totally reading them incorrectly? That's my best guess...

We're probably going to go with a water cooled turbo since in addition to the turbo's heat itself it doesn't help much that it's going to be right behind the rad. The T04B (although I don't believe it has water cooling) with .60 and .69 ARs for in/ex respectively is estimated to be making around 280, 300 whp on a 3.0 on maxima.org, rear mount running about 7 PSI. Don't know if that would be a good match for the 3.5 or not, but...yea.

Last edited:

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
the 16g might be to small. IIRC, it came off of a car with 1.5l less displacement. it would be a good match for mine tho. i would not go with a 20g, the DSM people say its too much lag for not enough kick.

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
actually... goals in the long run, as that is more important to me then short term goals...

basically...

When all is said and done I want close to 400 WHP...

I once, when buying my replacement transmission that is in there now, found information on the stock transmission and it is rating it as a piece of shit in terms of what it can hold. From what I can remember it said stock torque is like 280 on the transmission, but honestly.. people are running way more then that and I have not heard problems with them....

either way...

our basic goal will be...

Emanage for control
TMI for cooling
Single Turbo between 3 - 8 PSI (May hit 10 at points, but never over that)

The motor specs (for those that can help with turbo)

3.5L V6
Bore - 95.5 mm
Stroke - 81.4 mm
10.3:1 Compression

Anything else you need just ask.

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
Figured I would post some pics of what I got in the mail today...

btw, could this be put in the build thread, even though it isn't a Supra...

Turbonetics 62-1 T4 Turbo

turbo.JPG

turbo1.JPG

turbo2.JPG

EBay Intercooler

IC1.JPG

IC2.JPG

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
Been forever since I posted a reply to this thread, but a lot has happened since my last post.

After Emanage Ultimate was installed we did a dyno run of my car untuned.

229 HP / 239 Torque is our outcome,

I have been messing around with different turbo ideas (as I wait to purchase the remainder of my parts.

This is the current design.

3D Drawing I put together
http://www.mdpagi.com/TurboExhaust.png

We have roughly $600 to spend and then we just need to get everything mounted and braced.

The entire setup will sit with these parts

Engine / Fuel Management = Emanage Ultimate and LM-1 Wideband
"Downpipe" = Custom Mandrel Bent 2.5" Piping
Turbo = Turbonetics 62-1 A/R .96
Exhaust = 3" Cattman Prototype SS Catback Exhaust
Charge Piping = 2.5" Mandrel Bent Piping
Blow Off Valve = Turbosmart Race Port
Wastegate = Turbosmart Ultra-Gate 38mm Hi-Temp
Intercooler = Ebay Same Side Intercooler
Boost Controller / Boost Gauge = Turbosmart EBoost 2
Fuel Pump = Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
Oil Pump = Shurflo Pump# 8000-643-236
A/F Gauge = LM-1 Windows Program displayed on Pioneer D3
Injectors = Stock for now

If you have any questions or opinions feel free to PM me or respond to this thread.