boosted 1jz

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Need something to tune with and 440 injectors. walbro at least. Wideband.

Its all in the tuning. Its not just a matter of raiseing the boost unless you like breaking shit.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
How much can you? or how much should you?
Completely stock? lol do some research.

I've seen people run 30+ pounds on stock JZ long blocks before without breaking.
Tune is everything.

Sam

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
just remember you get what you pay for. if you go the cheap route, chances are you'll end up breaking something anyways which ends up costing you way more than just doing it right the first time. how about saving up and just buy things peice by peice. sounds annoying i know but that's what poor people do. i'm poor too but i've come along way doing this.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
He's on stock twins. You can bump up the boost until you hit cut, then turn it down a bit so it doesn't happen anymore. Like I said in your build thread, start saving to go single. lol

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
People see me and my car and wonder if I am some rich guy. No, I started with a Supra with a hole in the roof, not a targa, a hardtop where someone tried to install a sunroof.

I don't go around bragging like a lot of the douches do when they don't know one thing. We all started somewhere and it takes time to get to your power level.

With that said, you are on stock twins, keep the boost around 10-12PSI. No more, enjoy it like that and save up to go single. You don't want to turn up the boost any more because it is a gamble with the condition the twins are in.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IBoughtASupra;1766194 said:
With that said, you are on stock twins, keep the boost around 10-12PSI. No more, enjoy it like that and save up to go single. You don't want to turn up the boost any more because it is a gamble with the condition the twins are in.

I started out at something like 8-9psi on the stock y-pipe, that went up to about 12psi with the ebay POS y-pipe, and with an MBC I have run upwards of 16-17psi, but if it hit around 17-18psi, it would hit fuel cut on me, so I backed off. Honestly though, 12psi feels pretty similar to 17, because either way the stock turbos become a flow restriction around 5000rpm, at least on my car. Feels great until then, but after that, it honestly feels like an NA engine.

All that said, if you run much more than wastegate pressure, you're asking to be replacing turbos at any moment... I've been fairly lucky, but I'm almost positive one of my turbos had been replaced by whoever owned the car my engine came from in Japan. Even still, I'm never surprised by a CT12a going bad. :p

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
10-12 is a good point that provides a balance of turbo safety and fun factor. :)

LUV2XLR8

Jan 15, 2008
New York
soapra;1769730 said:
I hope you have bigger injectors. Stock the engine doesnt have enough fuel to keep it self alive for long at that boost level.

stock 370's but with a walbro.. AFR's are pretty rich at that boost level.