Boost spiked and car won't rev over 2k in gear

Chris_87_Turbo

Nov 5, 2013
Princeton, TX
I removed the boost controller that I installed. Never did turn the boost up. Hooked the boost reference port back to wastegate and went for a test drive, boost spiked to 15psi and I heard a pop sound. Now the car barely drives and won't rev over 2k rpm in gear and has an random idle bounce. Don't see anything out of the ordinary or smell anything different. Any ideas? Car never boosted over 8 with the MBC on it. verified by SW boost gauge, boosted 5psi without the MBC also verified with the SW gauge.

Chris

Chris_87_Turbo

Nov 5, 2013
Princeton, TX
Had a boost leak before when the coupler popped off the turbo and didn't act anything like this. I'm gonna limp it to my friends shop tomorrow and put it on the lift, need to replace the oil pan gasket too. I will check the piping while it up there too.

Chris

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Definitely sounds like a boost leak, shaft play wouldn't effect the drivability and not being able to go over 2k rpms.

Chris_87_Turbo

Nov 5, 2013
Princeton, TX
Split the coupler behind the bumper that connects the IC to the upper pipes (I thought the only couplers were the 3 that I could see between the IC and the TB plus turbo to piping and piping to IC), looks as if I will be removing the bumper and all piping later to have all joints welded except the IC, the TB and the turbo plus the one coupler under the hood - as seen in the photo to make for easy removal for service). There are 3 sections between the TB and the IC and the lower coupler on the middle section split or blew into 2 pieces. The pipes that were welded appear to have been cut and are about an inch too short, I had to dip into my Honda parts to get a 36" stick of reinforced coupler and cut one to length (even made it a little longer than needed to give extra room for play). Here is a top picture of the way the pipes are done. I unfortunately didn't get pictures during the repair. It seems every time I have a boost leak its at a coupler and the coupler in question is an inferior coupler (non-reinforced). I am starting to think the PO did the conversion and work as cheap as possible and whoever did the work was in a rush or just didn't care. I have fixed so many issues that were cause by just simply a lack of effort (Kinked rubber fuel line from tank to hard line under the car, clamps on crooked some not even tightened properly, hoses just barely pushed on, hoses going to accordion tube had zero hose clamps on them. Just name a little bit). But the problem has been fixed.

Chris

Attachments

• PB101208.jpg
    PB101208.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 3

Chris_87_Turbo

Nov 5, 2013
Princeton, TX
atmperformance;1980170 said:
if it's not a boost leak how much shaft play do you have?

Checked shaft play while I was in there and it has a little more than normal but not hitting anything inside (didn't use a dial indicator just used my fingers and moved the shaft up and down and side to side but it spins nice and easy. Probably could use a rebuild. Been thinking of taking an old T3/T4 that I have and using it with an adaptor. and an external WG at 8-10psi after the Lex/550 swap.

Chris