Boost question

jmono

Dec 30, 2008
Twin Falls
I just installed a mbc, intake, and boost gauge. I don't think I have it hooked up right though. Down below is the link for the boost controller. I have it turned like 35 turns and i'm only getting 6 psi on my boost gauge. The car feels like it's pulling hard. I turned it to 20 first and went from 1/2lb at wop 0 turns to 6psi 35 turns. I do have an exhaust leak at the manifold. I have a new gasket for it but I am going to wait til I can put my head gasket and studs on. Car has stock exhaust, and an intake. Any Ideas? I could draw a picture on paint or something to show you guys how I hooked it up. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.suprasport.com/Universal-Manual-Boost-Controller-int-ext-Wastegate_p_5263.html#

TIA
Jake

jmono

Dec 30, 2008
Twin Falls
How many turns did you go? I turned it all the way up and I'm still only getting 6 psi. I wonder if my exhaust leak is killing my boost that bad?

mkiii 4 life

Apr 25, 2008
South Florida
something is also wrong with mine because i closed it as much as i could and im running 7psi. something is stopping me from closing it all the way. i know i can turn it up because i did right when i installed to but i dont know what psi i got to because i didnt have a aftermarket boost guage yet it just spiked the stock one so i instantly let off.

wizeguy707

Nov 3, 2008
Texarkana, TX
Have you checked to see if you have the lines hooked up backwards??? This model of MBC was sketchy due to the fact the arrow for the wastegate points away from both nipples. :aigo:

I have that MBC and it's given me nothing but trouble. It's a PAIN to tune. Once you do find the turn that takes you back to stock (6-7 psi) it only takes an 1/8th turn to go up 1 psi. :nono:

I still have mine on cuz I'm broke right now, but will be investing in another MBC soon. :1zhelp:

mkiii 4 life

Apr 25, 2008
South Florida
I just realized what your problem could be. Do you have the little T piece in the vacuum line and then that runs to the actual contolller. I did this wrong because at the place i got it the idiot guy told me i dont need the T piece, so i tried it and i could not go above stock. then i put in the T piece and i cant turn it down all the way but i can turn it low enough and still turn it up.

jmono

Dec 30, 2008
Twin Falls
wizeguy707;1263891 said:
Have you checked to see if you have the lines hooked up backwards??? This model of MBC was sketchy due to the fact the arrow for the wastegate points away from both nipples. :aigo:

I have that MBC and it's given me nothing but trouble. It's a PAIN to tune. Once you do find the turn that takes you back to stock (6-7 psi) it only takes an 1/8th turn to go up 1 psi. :nono:

I still have mine on cuz I'm broke right now, but will be investing in another MBC soon. :1zhelp:

Seriously, this thing is confusing as hell. I had several people look at this (I put this on after my class and my 2 instructors didn't really get it either)

I think if I remember right I ran the nipple that is opposite the arrow to the waste gate... But I am not sure. I have it cranked all the way up and still six and a halfish.. Maybe I just have to play with it more once I get that exhaust leak fixed.

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
Can you test it by hand by simply blowing through it with the knob backed right off, or hook it up to an air compressor?

FYI the Suprasport instructions about having this thing in the cabin are retarded! You'll get massive boost spikes if you do that because of the length of vacuum hose that's required to make it work.

wizeguy707

Nov 3, 2008
Texarkana, TX
JimR;1264319 said:
Can you test it by hand by simply blowing through it with the knob backed right off, or hook it up to an air compressor?

FYI the Suprasport instructions about having this thing in the cabin are retarded! You'll get massive boost spikes if you do that because of the length of vacuum hose that's required to make it work.

Yes, that seems to be the outcome. Honestly, this is just another ebay MBC. No offense cuz like I said, I tried it. But for as cheap as MBCs are you should just try to get rid of it. Less headaches!

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
I would suggest getting a different MBC, i hope you didn't buy that MBC off of suprasport cause the same one is alot cheaper on ebay..lol. back when i had a MBC i use the ebay Voodoo MBC and it actualy work pretty good, i think i only paid like $10 for it. Im now using an electronic boost controller.. well worth the money spent. no more hassel.