boost question

Heatmiser

Jul 20, 2007
Nashville
i have rebuilt my 7mgte with stock internals - added 550cc injectors, 2 1/2 inch intercoolar piping and larger intercooler, VPC and SAFC - ct26 60-1 trim upgrade, 3inch dp and 3 inch exhaust... i hav'nt done the work myself b/c i'm not all that turbo savvy and am still learning about turbos and my supra...

question: at what point (rpm) should it be building boost and when should it be at max boost (14psi)? right now it maxes out at around 3500...

what can be done to make boost quicker? i have searched but as usual couldn't find exactly what i was looking for...some of my terminology may be lacking so please excuse...:ugh:

subjug4tor

Man up, Nancy.
May 8, 2008
DFW, texas
thats right about where it should be maxing out afaik. keep in mind you wont start to build boost until about 1/3-1/2 throttle. The boost wont help you too much lower than 3k rpm anyway, the 7M is fairly unresponsive in the 1k-2.5k range.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
Heatmiser;1027892 said:
i have rebuilt my 7mgte with stock internals - added 550cc injectors, 2 1/2 inch intercoolar piping and larger intercooler, VPC and SAFC - ct26 60-1 trim upgrade, 3inch dp and 3 inch exhaust... i hav'nt done the work myself b/c i'm not all that turbo savvy and am still learning about turbos and my supra...

question: at what point (rpm) should it be building boost and when should it be at max boost (14psi)? right now it maxes out at around 3500...

what can be done to make boost quicker? i have searched but as usual couldn't find exactly what i was looking for...some of my terminology may be lacking so please excuse...:ugh:

you are a little late to the game in boost. a good ebc would help you build boost faster or add a shim or 2. this will hold the wastegate closed for a longer time and build boost faster.

subjug4tor;1027902 said:
thats right about where it should be maxing out afaik. keep in mind you wont start to build boost until about 1/3-1/2 throttle. The boost wont help you too much lower than 3k rpm anyway, the 7M is fairly unresponsive in the 1k-2.5k range.

throttle isnt the only parameter that determines boost. stay in 5th gear at 20 mph and give it full throttle, see what happens..... boost will take forever to build! back when i had a ct26, 3in exhaust and intake i had full boost by 3k and would start to build ~2k. lets not pass along partial incorrect information...

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
lol ..... for starters listen to sound advice from MKIIINA and if you arent happy by then go down the line however you should be at 14psi around 2800-3000rpm

Do you have a 5speed or auto?

the stock manifold out flows the ct26 ...... people have made pretty impressive number on a stock manifold as in 500hp+

Heatmiser

Jul 20, 2007
Nashville
bountykilla0118;1028048 said:
lol ..... for starters listen to sound advice from MKIIINA and if you arent happy by then go down the line however you should be at 14psi around 2800-3000rpm

Do you have a 5speed or auto?

the stock manifold out flows the ct26 ...... people have made pretty impressive number on a stock manifold as in 500hp+

I here ya... will check into it further

5 speed...

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
I agree on the ebc.

My Greddy ebc has settings for WG response and when it actually begins to open. It's pretty good for tuning how, when, and how much boost you get.

Of course it still won't let you hit 14psi at 2000rpm. ;)