Boost Problem

87turbotarga

Turbo freak!
May 10, 2010
Richmond
So i just put on new intercooler pipping, intercooler, BOV because i thought i had a boost leak. But im having the same problem I was having before I replaced this stuff. If i gun my car it sounds like its just blowing off air and im hitting fuel cut. I have bigger injectors and lexus afm so I wasnt hitting fuel cut before. The blow of valve sounds good. Even when i acclerate slowly it just sounds like air is blowing out.

87turbotarga

Turbo freak!
May 10, 2010
Richmond
My 51 and 52 were on and i just rewired the knock sensors and no more engine codes. It feels like it builds boost if i accelerate slowly. But if not its like its just blowing out all the boost. And when it hits the cut its like i can mash the gas peddle alll the way down and the car just slows down, i left off the gas and shift gears and gas slowly and it will go again but if i go to fast it doesnt wanna go anywhere. There is also something else that could possibley have an effect on this, ironically ever since my code 51 for the TPS went off if i gas above 3.5k rpms and hit the clutch my rpms drop to zero and the car cuts off then cuts itself back on unless i keep my foot on the gas. It wasnt doing this when my engine light was on :(

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
How much boost builds before you hear the leaking air sound?

This happened to me a while back...

p1746765_1.jpg

87turbotarga

Turbo freak!
May 10, 2010
Richmond
Hard to tell, My aftermarket boost gauge is unplugged cause ive yet to attach it to the new pipping. The stock one goes from about -4 to 4 if i mash it, but sometimes i can hear the air without that gauge showing any boost. that gauge never worked to well though.

87turbotarga

Turbo freak!
May 10, 2010
Richmond
Amy tips on how to make one :) i have a can of carb cleaner i heard if you spray that around the pipping itll mess with the idle and you could find leak.

CtownDawgs88

Doin' the Best I Can.....
Mar 23, 2009
Northern Ohio
Are you running an AEM standalone? Your breakup sounds like the famous 3K ignitor issues - do a search many different ways to fix this.

Are you running a CDI box? if so the CDI does not know how to deal with the stock coils (which have a diode in them).

The car dying when you clutch in is prob the ISC valve not opening fast enough when the car is fully heated up - i fixed this by wrapping the ISC hoses with heat shielding products - helps keep the hoses cooler thus the ISC air is more dense than the hot air you are probally sending to it now.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
If it was the turbo seals......it would be smoking due to burning oil, but it would still build boost.

As for the boost leak test. I bought a 4" to 3" (my turbo opening is 4") rubber coupling from Home Depot. I also bought a 3" pvc plug. I drilled a hole in it and pulled a valve stem through it just like it was a wheel.. I put it inside the 3" part of the coupling and tightened the clamp. Clamp the 4" part onto the turbo and add a little air. Mine always seems to blow out through the exhaust, so I unhook my down pipe and put a piece of metal between it and the down pipe and tighten it back up. It's a bit of work, but it will find any leaks.

Your leak sounds like it's soo big that it's probably a hole in a coupling or something easy to find.